Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: The HBO series \"Oz\"

No love for Deadwood?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Oz devolves from a compelling prison drama to a glorified male soap opera. However, some of its characters are absolutely unforgettable - there are great villains, and great not-quite-villains, and even characters you root for (sometimes). Terrific acting. The show never should've had 6 seasons, though.

Honestly - the Wire is much, much better. But it's worth putting off since Season 4 still isn't on DVD *gnashes teeth at HBO*.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 PM

I hear Oz is great, as well as The Wire.

I've only see The Sopranos in full, every episode, was great. I'm nearly finished first season of Deadwood which is amazing.

Also hear Rome and John From Cincinnati are good. Everyone who likes HBO should definetly check out Carnivale, though. One of their series' that doesn't get much recognition if you ask me thanks to all their other big hits, but this is a REALLY REALLY good show.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM

The first four-ish seasons of Oz are [censored] great. It gets worse later on though, last few seasons not of same quality.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 PM

The first two seasons were TV perfection but the it all went downhill in a hurry after that.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who likes HBO should definetly check out Carnivale, though. One of their series' that doesn't get much recognition if you ask me thanks to all their other big hits, but this is a REALLY REALLY good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking of checking this one out on Netflix, what should someone go in expecting from it? I'm thinking it will be something in line with Twin Peaks, is this right?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oz is good for 3 or so seasons (can't remember).

The last couple of seasons are a totally different show however, a very bad one.

The Wire is amazing, best or second best drama in tv history depending on ur view of the Sopranos

[/ QUOTE ]

The wire is in a different universe when compared to the Sopranos.

Oz ebbs and flows. Season 3 is one of the best seasons of television ever, and season 5 was berry berry bad.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM

Season 1: Fantastic. Jefferson Keane is one of the most interesting characters ever.

Seasons 2 and 3: Very compelling television

1st half of season 4: The rise and fall of Adebisi. Unbelievable stuff.

After that? Ick.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who likes HBO should definetly check out Carnivale, though. One of their series' that doesn't get much recognition if you ask me thanks to all their other big hits, but this is a REALLY REALLY good show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking of checking this one out on Netflix, what should someone go in expecting from it? I'm thinking it will be something in line with Twin Peaks, is this right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's set in the depression era, about a travelling circus called "Carnivale", which has two factions to it, a good one and an evil one, but the show never really tells you which is which. It's got biblical themes, set in the 30's, etc. and was supposed to go 6 seasons but got cancelled after 2. I still tihnk it's pretty good.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 AM

I'll just add on to what everyone said. Some of the best characters on TV ever (maybe a slight exaggeration? but not much) are on Oz, but there's a lot of fluff too. To name you some, Jeffesron Kane, Adebesi, Schillinger (every time after you see this guy in a movie, you can only think "Holy [censored], it's Schillinger but he's not a psycho"), Beecher, and the best of them all -- Said. Also maybe Augustus and Pinkamo and maybe even McManus. These characters are amazing.

[Edit: Holy crap, I forgot O'Rielly. What is wrong with me? ]

That being said, there's a lot of episodes that are meh, especially after/during season 4. Last season (6? 7?) picks it up somewhat, so it's worth it to finish the series. Once you get invested in the characters you will have to see their ends.

The other thing that can be said of this show is that it is not afraid to kill ANYONE. ANYONE, I say again. You think some of the shows on TV now aren't afraid to kill main characters, but you're wrong. Oz will kill anyone at any time. Remember this. It makes the show close to completely unpredictable.