Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Question about buying in...

Ok, I think everyone on here advocates buying in for the max... I have been doing this, but what about when you drop to say, half or 2/3s a buy-in (for whatever reason... bad beat, I'm playing like a donk, whatever it is), do you add chips back to max? My habit has been not to, because it is easier to track how much I am ahead or behind at any given time.

One other quick question... I play on the .5/.10 full-ring tables (6-max have been very -EV hahaha) for a $10max buy-in, but everyone on here talks about NL25 and NL100 and stuff. What does NL25 etc. mean? My guess is that it is referring to the max buyin which would mean I am playing NL10?

-Gross
Old 01-30-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Question about buying in...

Reload instantly if you are inclined to buyin for full to begin with. The ammount you are ahead or behind is totally irrelevant to anything. In fact, there is no possible benefit you can gain from knowing this; but it could put you on tilt.

If you're thinking about poker in terms of what you won today or lost yesterday, then you have the wrong outlook on the game.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 PM

yes NL means 25 max buyin. yes buy back up when you get down to 2/3. this is especially true at NL 10 since you are going to stack people more often you need the maximum amount possible to maximize value.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:31 PM

I rebuy every time I pay a blind
Old 01-30-2006, 06:31 PM

very good point. you dont need to keep track of exactly how much you win or lose. youll know youre winning when you have more money in your bankroll and vice versa.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 PM

Hmmm, your perception is uncannily accurate. I'm scared, lol.

To explain... I asked because it seems that whenever I fall a ways below the max buyin level (in my case, the $10ish mark), I tilt bad. This may be because I am converting from an almost exclusive tourney background and in tourneys as your stack gets smaller and the blinds get higher, you get increasingly desparate to make a move. To define "tilting bad" if I drop below $6 or so, it's about 3 to 1 that I will lose the rest on a bonehead classic donkey tilting play. The other 25% I suckout, lol (this is from a very small sample, so if I continue to play this way it may show that I lose much more often than 3 out of 4).

Anyway, based upon what you said, I will put myself back up to $10 anytime I drop below $9. I think that will keep me calm.

As for "not keeping track of my money." Hmm... I guess I have a ways to go on the psychological aspect. In the meantime I will try to focus on playing properly. The money will come. Any other input you have on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Gross
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM

Hmm, maybe I should just do that!

-Gross
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Hypothetical: I am at $100 NL, bought in for $100 and am down to $80. Before I reload - I look at the other stacks at the table. If no other stack is above $80, then its an easy "no rebuy" decision. If all the stacks have more than $80, its a clear "rebuy" decision.

In short, almost everty time I rebuy, since it is rare that I encounter the former table setup.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rebuy every time I pay a blind

[/ QUOTE ]

Fallen-

Don't you 8-table, re-buying every time you pay a blind takes some wicked skill [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and is just time consuming IMO.

Regards,
Quarkncover
Old 01-30-2006, 07:20 PM

it gives me stuff to do [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I admit I sometimes I get a bit behind on my rebuying though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]