Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Default HU strategy I\'ve used lately LIMCASH

Just started working on my heads up game. When I'm against an aggressive opponent I've been using this line lately when getting check-raised on the turn. Cant tell if this is good or if I've just been running good. Thoughts?

Button is SB.

Hero raises K4. BB calls.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] rainbow

BB check-calls

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB check-raises, Hero 3 bets, BB calls

River 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero checks

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: HU strategy I\'ve used lately

cantsitstillbr free showdown raises are terrible and aggressive opponents are the worst ppl to do them against

3betting lets him 4bet which is horrible no matter what his hand

if u call turn and a bad card comes u can fold, whereas if u 3bet u already put in that extra bet
Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

I dont like it, for the simple reason that you can showdown for the same price if you just call his check raise and call the river.

Then theres also the risk of getting 4 bet when your beaten and folding him out when he has nothing which really sucks plus if he donks the river we're gonna have to call and hate ourselves
Old 11-02-2007, 09:43 AM

I don't see you have the odds to call the cr on the turn. Additionally if you make a two pair it would be king's up that looks like the nuts to me, considering the opponent might have 3-bet preflop with any pocket pair (that's not necessarily true when it comes to small pocket pairs or e.g. KK) and maybe KJ, and there's no s, f possible on the turn.

Also, you should note that your opponent is out of the position on the turn and the question if you should 3-bet comes only if you think he might be raising for a free sd plus your hand looks like the best.

Just to think of it, it doesn't look like too many players would raise the mp here on the turn (that player might and one also needs to figure what he generally does with bp and tp on the flop and the turn), it perhaps being more natural to just call down with, and bet for value on the river if the opponent checks there.

Looking it like that the bottom pair with a king kicker (also note the opponent may not have an A4) might be actually pretty good, and to look it a bit more the J high top pair is not as safe as king high or a good queen high top pair to wait till turn to raise when out of the position, especially as turn check-raises are more serious than turn raises (meaning they rate to get less action).

Looking at the whole situation, and there is a 4-flush on the turn exactly on the turn and the turn card is small, and one has actually a pretty good hand when thinking about the whole picture, and there's no two high cards on the flop making it to look more likely you could still be betting on the turn without a hand, but I don't think one can be all that good to 3-bet on the turn here with K4, or maybe the future players or bots will be.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: HU strategy I\'ve used lately LIMCASH

I think It all depends on couple questions.
Would you feel safe folding to 4bet against this player?
Would he fold better hand here occasionaly?
Would he bluff the river if has nothing?
Is he likely to donk be the river?
I think agresive players are not very likely to fold better hands and will generally bluff the river too.Folding sometimes winner to 4 bet will be disaster and donk bet on the river would not be pleasant too.I don't think it is good play here,but it all depends on the specific player tendencies.