Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, what happens if you tell the RIAA to shove it and not pay these "fees"? You go to jail right?

Seriously, Land of the Free, I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it must be a dictatorship when you are not free to give away what isnt yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that the RIAA did not prove she did anything you are assuming she did? Do you understand what 'innocent until proven guilty' means?

[/ QUOTE ]

My response was made under the assumption that a fair trial had been held and tht she was found guilty of committing those crimes. I thought this thread was about how the jury made her pay 9250$ for each song, and maybe also the understanding of how violators of the laws regarding copyrights can be sentenced.

Yeah, Im fully aware of the meaning of "innocent until guilty", but as this was not part of why OP reacted against the jury or the RIAA.

Im fairly sure you will have a hard time finding anyone who will say that they dont think that everyone deserve a fair trial. If this woman is innocent then I say the sentence is certainly unfair, but my statements in this case was made under the assumption that she had a fair trial and that the rights to distribute a song can be worth way more than 9250, something that OP seemed to find dumb.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:43 PM

IANAL, but here is my opinion on the law.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does innocent until proven guilty have to do with anything though?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, that was stupid for me to say. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
In fact I should shut up because I know far less about this case than I'm acting like.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was arguing for this specific case where the woman was at a clear disadvantage financially and could not prove that she DIDN'T do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in favor of justice and equal treatment as much as I am in favor of ice cream and christmas, so of course I think she deserves a free trial. As stated earlier, I thought the problem was the sentence given, not the question of guilt.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 PM

Bed,

I agree. I think that from what I've read, it looks like this person made a poor decision about making a stand. I'd probably be obligated to find the person liable if I was on that jury. However, I think the damages are too large. I think that for downloads, the minimum fine by law is $750/file, and this is well beyond that.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 PM

I hate to be a nit, but the fact that the words guilt, innocence, sentence, etc. are in this thread about a civil lawsuit is kinda tilting me.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM

"A computer security firm hired by the industry detected the songs remotely in a shared folder on Thomas' hard drive, a folder Thomas said wasn't hers."
Bloomberg story on this case

As I understand it it seems like they agree that she had the files on her computer, and her computer was in fact used to share them. Her response is that the folder wasnt hers, even though it was on her harddrive.

She should be responsible for whats on her computer, even if she claims that that specific folder did not belong to her.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Here's an actual article about the verdict.

The closing argument by the defense basically said that the defendant wasn't the person who downloaded the songs--even though it was her IP address and a user name she used on a bunch of other sites. Duh.

Also, this is a civil trial, which means:

1. Defendant was found "liable," not "guilty." She's not going to jail.
2. The burden of proof is "preponderance of evidence," not "beyond a reasonable doubt," and "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply.

The jury held that RIAA proved the defendant downloaded and distributed the songs on [censored], which is clearly illegal.

Now, to the OP and others: what is the complaint here, other than "music should be free" or some other silliness?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to be a nit, but the fact that the words guilt, innocence, sentence, etc. are in this thread about a civil lawsuit is kinda tilting me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have used all those words in this thread I think. As english is not my 1st language I sometimes have a problem finding the accurate terms, and I suppose there are other terms more appropiate in this case. I am just trying to make myself understood, but I understand that I might use the wrong terms in lack of more appropiate terms.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM

funny i always thought pepper WAS pittm