Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Dealing with intense anger

So far this weekend. I've screamed obscenities at least 20 times. Pounded the desk probably more.

I'm up $2400. I have problems.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:19 AM

this may seem like a lame response, but its not and if you believe me then you'll be happy.

Read "The Psychology of Poker" and profit from not tilting.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 AM

I did read it. Helped I think. Mainly by making me aware of the concept of subtle tilt.

I've been profiting like a maniac for 6 months now. Still can't stop yelling at the computer monitor though.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this may seem like a lame response, but its not and if you believe me then you'll be happy.

Read "The Psychology of Poker" and profit from not tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, your perspective is skewed. After putting up with me for however long while we try to find my house, nothing can put you on tilt.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 AM

true this week i just reached the finaltable of 2 tournaments with more than 400 people (150$ and 24$) i cashed 2900$ in both of them
i was still angry after i busted out of the 150$ tourney
because i always run so freaking bad (KK<AQ busted me in most of my last 20 tourneys or stuff like AK<Ax x is probaly lower than 8)
i lost a few huge pots in the tourney where i was like 70/30 to win and increase my CL only to lose most of it with AK against A2s preflop all in at the final table (lost a few more of these hands at this tourney but thats not the point)
i am running "good" (talking about months) since july turning about 1,3k into more than 10k playing the 16-119$ sngs and MTTs (started september with 6k -> 9k -> 11k now)
i cant help it but i always feel like i am the unluckiest human being at this planet because the majority of the times i made a +ev and still lost
my advice would for you would be to think positive every sng is a new 1 and always remind yourself that nobody has control of the cards (except stars they are rigged oh and eric froehlich (ftp pro) who keeps busting me with crap so yea ftp is rigged too)
writing this i just noticed how much i actually made last month.
considering that i ran as bad as possible (and still do it) and still had a good september leads to one conclusion
I AM AWESOME and yet not happy with my results

OP
1) take a break
2) read posts/books or watch videos
3) play MTTs/cashgame
4) laugh at your opponents when they instacall you with A3 at the bubble when they are the second bigstack and someone is about to be blinded out
5) play some micro cashgame and tilt realy hard (moving in every hand helped me a lot) do it till YOU suck out on someone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
6) read more pokerbooks this time focusing on psychology "you worst poker enemy" looks like a nice book from what i have read
i have only heard the best about "the psychologic of poker"and i am waiting for amazon to ship it
7) even if you run bad you can still win IT IS A SKILL GAME
8) ?????????????
9) PROFIT!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:24 AM

Are you one of those losers who types all sorts of despicable obsenities into chat when you get sucked out on ?

If so, I have absolutely no sympathy for you. I turned off chat long ago because of people like that.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He said that, watching me, he's genuinely concerned about my mental health if I tried to play 100 sngs/day.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement seems to have been said before you attempted to pay the bills with poker and had with what you thought was a reasonable bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm living on the edge of busto, with around $500 in my roll. I wish it wasn't that way, but I have to cashout for rent no matter what my roll is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 12-tabling, and I need to make about $800-900/mo to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is NO WAY that you will be able to play poker without anger and stress in this situation. You need to win to pay the bills and your bankroll is woefully inadequate. If you try to play your way out of this situation you will shortly bust your bankroll.

Right now your options are extremely limited and you need to find outside funds through a job etc. as many others have said.

[ QUOTE ]
It's more than a poker issue. I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. It's like a disability.

Maybe poker is not for me. I know I'm a good player, but I don't know if I have the temperamental stamina to cut it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is definitely for you. You have made thousands playing a game that most lose at.

But what is not for you or for anybody is playing for a living without adequate bankroll, nest egg etc. that just about every going pro thread on 2+2 harps on here. You would be fine if you were just playing to supplement outside income, and would likely find your anger issues to be much less of a problem.

This is one of my favorite posts that I have ever read on 2+2. While it won't help your current situation I think it may lead to a long term cure to your poker anger if you can "lower the stakes" like ML4L writes he was about to do.
ML4L Moving Down
Old 10-07-2007, 02:52 AM

Another quick thing Sober.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 12-tabling, and I need to make about $800-900/mo to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say you twelve table I assume (maybe wrongly) that you are doing it continuously. And if you are doing so, even at the 6.50 level you will be incredibly stressed with your current bankroll and you should stop.

Take the common scenario where you start your session with 12 tables. Bust out of 8 and start 8 new ones while 4 continue from your first "round."

Suddenly when you peek at your bankroll now you have 20 less buy-ins. So only $370 left to your name(If you started with your $500 bankroll that you said you currently have)

This exponentially increases your stress even though this is perfectly routine. When you glance at the bankroll things seem worse than they really are because of the increased equity that you have in the tournaments that you remain in from the first round.

Playing out the set before starting any new tables allows this "hidden equity" to be reflected in your bankroll when you buy in to your next tournaments.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:10 AM

a good way to avoid looking at the cashier is buying fulltiltshortcuts which autobuys you into new sngs without bringing up the amount left in your account box. It costs $25 but if this continuous looking at your cashier causes you to tilt, it might be worth it.

I definitely know what Ml4L means when he says that everyday decisions are translated into ev. In the summer I stopped cooking lunch/dinner and just got take out as it cooking decreased my hourly. If you are not careful, it can consume you.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 AM

Beat the living crap out of your phonebook. It can take a ton of punishment. Slam it down many times if you have a solid floor. Helps a bit.

Don't hit valuable stuff. That's just dumb.

Ryan