Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

[ QUOTE ]
napolean dynamite

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good example for me too. Forgot how much I hated this when I saw it.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Firmly convinced that the first Godfather and the first in the Alien series are by far superior to the sequels. And I mean not just a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100% on Alien v Alien 2.

~ Rick
Old 09-22-2007, 02:43 PM

The Matrix: Every liked it because it was an action flick with a "complicated" story line.

Yes, it had fifteen minutes at the start, and fifteen minutes at the end. But what about the two hours in the middle that was "here is the story." Okay, tell me once, review once and only once, please. But no, they review, review, retell, restate ad infinitum. Ugh. The movie could have been 45 minutes and been the masterpiece it supposedly was.

I also blame this movie for the cheapening and over-use of CGI, using as a crutch to awe without telling stories. This movie ruined movies for a full decade.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
napolean dynamite

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good example for me too. Forgot how much I hated this when I saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people I've spoken to or have seen talking on these forums found the movie a lot better the second time around. I thought it was much better the second time. At first it was hard for me to identify with this unwashed, unappealing hick with a dismal personality who often basically acted like a dick a lot of the time. The second go-through surprised me. I found it easier to empathize with him even though he WAS in many ways offputting and unlikeable. Harder to do, up front.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Matrix: Every liked it because it was an action flick with a "complicated" story line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be under 40. Movies like "The Matrix" left everyone I know around my age cold (disclaimer: I only know about seven people around my age). Totally forgettable and meaningless.

OTOH "Fight Club" doesn't usually connect to people like me (because I'm 53 BTY) but I could see there was something there (revolt against the nanny state?; revolt against the emasculation of men by today's society?) That one I'll see again.

~ Rick
Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 PM

A little OT, but David Fincher (director of Fight Club) is a total o-hole. I hope he does nothing but beer commercials for the rest of his career. I am sure Zodiac was descent, but I am glad it tanked.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm going with Fight Club, the movie. Actually the first half was pretty good, but the whole second storyline about project mayhem or whatever was stupid.

And an odd hatred I have for it: I blame it for making American Psycho less well known. This is probably very irrational. FC and AP came out around the same time IIRR, and I always felt AP was the better movie.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Cosign 100% on The Doors and Harry Potter. I find the Doors incredibly boring and trashy and overrated. A cheesy LA band that sounds like a parody of itself, tries to sound deep and fails miserably, etc. There was some real talent in that group too, which kind of obscures how little substance they actually had.

Here's one that I simply can't defend, but it's true nonetheless: I just don't really like the Beatles. It's not that I dislike them, and there are a few songs that I enjoy tremendously, but I can't remember the last time I put on a Beatles album. It just doesn't get me off, and I listen to a lot of music from the 50s, 60s and 70s, so it's not a generational thing.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Ernest Hemingway

This guy has a reputation for being seriously badass. However, "The Sun Also Rises" is the worst piece of Emo drivel this side of a My Chemical Romance CD. I hated, hated, hated that book!
Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 PM

Wow I loved it.

NT, I love the Beatles but never listen to them either. They're so central and pervasive in our cultural background that it's almost like you've got two choices, listen to the Beatles or listen to something else. And it's fun to find something else to listen to, and inevitable. But if I had never listened to the Beatles, and a lot, I think I would have really missed out.