Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Popular (book, movie, etc) that you simply don\'t like.

When I was younger I used to hate everything. Now I find something good in almost everyone and everything that I see. Despite being able to deconstruct anything and point out why it's terrible, I just don't anymore. I concentrate on the good.

I'm a lot happier than I used to be.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harry [censored] Potter. But good on her for ripping off LOTR and making $1 billion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every fantasy book these days rips off of LOTR, just like he ripped off of a lot of older myths. There's Beowulf in LOTR, and probably more of that than there is LOTR in Harry Potter. The only common theme is magic. Other than that I see little to no similarities.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was younger I used to hate everything. Now I find something good in almost everyone and everything that I see. Despite being able to deconstruct anything and point out why it's terrible, I just don't anymore. I concentrate on the good.

I'm a lot happier than I used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not destroy the mood of the thread please!

I get your philosophy.... actually, moods are good for us. Being aware of the bad makes the good that much brighter. I can't like every thing and I won't even try.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 PM

Agree on Scarface and think it's tremendously overrated on almost every score. Further, that it's the beginning of the end for Pacino, who starts out as a cartoon in that picture and continues to be one forever after.

Another huge movie favorite I don't love is Sin City. I thought it was stupid and exploitive and infantile.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the more boring movies I've ever seen, though parts are great.

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings: struck me as visually interesting movies that are for the most part average at best and have severe pacing problems.

Firmly convinced that the first Godfather and the first in the Alien series are by far superior to the sequels. And I mean not just a little.

Almost all reality shows: do not want

Re: non-entertainment stuff:

I don't like many gas guzzling cars. I'm driving a decent car these days, but to tell you the truth I'd be happier with one that cost half as much or less and didn't eat so much premium gas.

Not a fan of junk food.

Don't like tattoos at all. On women, anyway. If you're a guy I don't care what you do too much, but I gotta wonder how smart somebody is who gets ones that show up on job interviews. That last actually goes for the women as well.

Personal perversity: I'm one of those guys who actually LIKES vegetables, as long as they're not boiled into a mush or something. Salads too -- I like the cold, refreshing crunch and variety of textures. I wouldn't mind eating one every day, honest, even as a meal.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Greatful Dead

Jimmy Buffet

The Eagles

The Da Vinci Code: Neat Idea ... weak writing (and terrible ending).

Ok, ... The Princess Bride. I get it, but it doesn't make me laugh.

"Friends"
Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 PM

I never understood drinking. It makes me sick to my stomach and gives me headaches in the morning. I never feel good while I'm drinking, so I don't get it.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't like tattoos at all. On women, anyway. If you're a guy I don't care what you do too much, but I gotta wonder how smart somebody is who gets ones that show up on job interviews. That last actually goes for the women as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to hate inked and pierced chicks, then i moved to Manchester, started hanging out in the rock scene and started to dig it more.

I forgot to put it in my earlier post, but Disney. Every single schmaltzy tired old BS part of the entire Disney empire. There is a quote i really like from Mr and Mrs Smith - "Happy endings are just stories that havent finished yet".
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 PM

Pulp Fiction: A nasty and cynical view of human behavior. It would be OK if the movie had more wit, but it seems like a dumb shock film to me.

Oceans 11,12: Uber personalities just don't cut it. I don't care how powerful and cool your all start lineup is, the point of a movie is entertainment or storytelling, and your celebrity jerk-a-thon is just annoying
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 AM

napolean dynamite
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
napolean dynamite

[/ QUOTE ]

racist ban, plz