Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Would the sites pull out of certain states?

How reasonable is it to think that the poker sites may pull out of certain areas of the U.S., due to the legislation/legal climate in those areas? For instance, the State of Washington has strict rules against online gaming. While the laws are not enforced for the poker site or online players in Washington, the laws are still on the books. Other states, have similar laws as well. In fact, 11 states are already not allowed to play at the Microgaming poker network, so a situation such as this is not unheard of. Is it reasonable to assume, that one days sites like FTP/Stars/U.B./etc. are all going to start pulling out of certain areas of the U.S., due to the legal climate in those areas? Let's try and look at the present legal situation, and also any reasonable situations that could pop up in the future.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Would the sites pull out of certain states?

You really have no idea how complex your question is do you?

Read the "master sticky" for this forum. Interpreting state law (assuming it doesnt violate the commerce clause and the WTO) as required, maybe (especially maybe for poker), by the UIGEA. is going to employ a lot of lawyers and court time. Someday I hope to be paid to argue for one of those interpretations, so I am not inclined to give a full detailed anlaysis for free just becuase you asked in this forum. Now maybe if you transfer $6000 to me on FTP...no, just kidding.

The short answer to your question is no one knows for sure, but sites currently operating in the questionable markets are either already criminals or they are not and never will be, so they have no real incentive to change their policies (and profits) any time soon.

Skallagrim
Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 AM

im from new york so i cannot play at any prima site any longer

so it has already happened
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Skall, later this month, the lawsuit to have the State of Washington's ban on all online gambling, including by players, will receive its first hearing. The outcome of this lawsuit will tell us alot about the enforceability of the various state laws against online gambling. I think that the case is primarily based on the dormant commerce clause, but the WTO argument is used too.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, obviously not, sorry.

I was mostly curious if it was a "likely" or "unlikely" scenario from the site end, as a way for the sites to protect themselves.

My government can put this law on the books, all they want. They do not have the ability to enforce it, and I will always find a way to play online poker. I know that it is unenforceable, and they have no way of catching me.

But if the site blocks me as a way of protecting itself, well, then I am toast.....
Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, obviously not, sorry.

I was mostly curious if it was a "likely" or "unlikely" scenario from the site end, as a way for the sites to protect themselves.

My government can put this law on the books, all they want. They do not have the ability to enforce it, and I will always find a way to play online poker. I know that it is unenforceable, and they have no way of catching me.

But if the site blocks me as a way of protecting itself, well, then I am toast.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "simple" answer your looking for is..If they were going to leave they would've already left...The legality or the sites interpretation of legality(or risk) has not changed...