Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 03:07 AM

Default Re: the age of * is over

To all the complainers,

If you are so worried about the * system, then don't post in OOT, no one is forcing you to. There is a wide variety of forums offered to you at 2+2. Each have their own unique community and rules that go along with them. If you don't like the community and rules of a certain forum, then don't post there. However, if you would like to post in OOT then in order to help keep the forum clean there are a few rules you are asked and expected to follow. If you fail to do this you are going to get reprimanded for it. In a forum that large being soft on rules does not work.

So lets say you've screwed up and been given a * for your screw up, from that you have 2 options.

Option A - Take the * for what it is, just a warning, and move on. Be a good poster, continue to contribute, and eventually with time you'll notice that the * eventually disappears.

Option B - Whine about your * to anyone who will listen to you because although you didnt care when that other guy who made a stupid post got a *, and perhaps you even cheered for the *, but you, well you're just too important to be given a star so you'd better bitch to the entire forum until justice prevails.

If you're the type to choose Option A, you're probably a great poster who won't make the same mistake again and soon enough the * will be forgotten. If you're the type to choose Option B, then the * was probably a great thing as all you do is detract from the forum with that type of attitude anyways.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 AM

[censored] you dude. I'm not the one acting like a * is a [censored] stab in the heart. What makes a good OOT poster changes everyday and gets more and more vague. I'm glad to not be known as an OOT poster by the way.

I don't care how OOT mods conduct themsleves anyway. You want to ban someone for posting 3 oversized pictures? Be my guest. I think it's retarded to do but I think it's also retarded to go off on the diatribes TWP and RJ has.

you used to post a lot in SSSH didn't you, I might be mistaken. if so I liked your posts, glad to see being Green hasn't changed you at all [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img],
Shake
Old 11-02-2006, 03:20 AM

all the people bitching and moaning about *s and OOT mods in this thread are pretty much confirming to me that we are doing a great job, thanks guys
Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 AM

Shake,

I owe you an apology, I mistakenly somehow attributed posts to you that were not written by you. My reading comprehension must go down late at night. I've deleted the post directed at you, and again sorry.

My post to the * whiners still stands though.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 AM

NT,
That's a pretty odd meter for success. I know how you role though.

MEB,
No problem man, happens to the best of us.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are so worried about the * system, then don't post in OOT, no one is forcing you to.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is happening rapidly. Soon enough, BBV will be the most popular forum on 2+2 which I really don't care about as long as it means that the overall quality of posts in OOT is improved.

I am however a little concerned about whether intimidating people from posting in OOT will create a sort of monoculture that leads to predictable threads, boring agree-fests, etc. as all the newer blood ends up in BBV.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are so worried about the * system, then don't post in OOT, no one is forcing you to.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is happening rapidly. Soon enough, BBV will be the most popular forum on 2+2 which I really don't care about as long as it means that the overall quality of posts in OOT is improved.

I am however a little concerned about whether intimidating people from posting in OOT will create a sort of monoculture that leads to predictable threads, boring agree-fests, etc. as all the newer blood ends up in BBV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's clearly both monocultural and trying REALLY hard to be exclusive for an ever-diminished group of users. You are perfectly correct in saying the current set-up is geared heavily against OOT-n00bs - this will also lead to stagnation and loss of current posters as they bore of it.

It's got pretty clear consequences if left unchanged.

But who cares, frankly, the OOTers obviously love it being exclusive, and don't care if it naturally stops n00bs joining the ranks, and don't care much about the steady stream of users leaving it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 AM

Fine, so my takeaway from the mods is basically "Do not post in OOT. Because you posted a large pic you are a terrible poster who we don't want posting there." WTF. I honestly feel like I have been transported to Lala land with this whole saga. Why would anyone want to encourage people not to post in their forum? Because they posted a large pic and because they think the mods are power tripping blowhards? So weird. And why doesn't Mat weigh in on this issue?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fine, so my takeaway from the mods is basically "Do not post in OOT. Because you posted a large pic you are a terrible poster who we don't want posting there." WTF. I honestly feel like I have been transported to Lala land with this whole saga. Why would anyone want to encourage people not to post in their forum? Because they posted a large pic and because they think the mods are power tripping blowhards? So weird. And why doesn't Mat weigh in on this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot. Mat only weighed in the first 40 times the * system was brought up. He endorses it, so quit being a baby.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 AM

He didn't weigh in on the way that it has developed. I have no problem with the system in theory. But thanks for calling me an idiot. And a baby.

Edit: Basically in this thread I made a long post saying that a small group of mods are damaging the 2+2 community by not showing a proper level of respect to other posters. In response I get one mod calling me a whiner and telling me not to post in OOT, one mod saying that i'm bitching and moaning and confirming that he's doing a great job, and a third mod calling me names. Wow, how could I have been so wrong? Sorry guys for my ridiculous accusations!