Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all u people that drunk drive are peices of [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are all people who talk on their cellphones while driving pieces of [censored]? Is doing that the same as wearing a blindfold and firing a pistol randomly? Cause it's been shown to have a similar effect on driving ability, so shouldn't you guys be campaigning against that too?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has? Seems more like it gets reported that cell phones aren't worse than other distractions like changing radio stations as far as number of accidents caused. I don't think I've seen cell phone use = drunk driving.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I had EXACTLY 5 Tanquerey and Tonics from 7 PM - 9:30 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink gin and tonics also as my regular drink.
Some places make them stronger than others.
When at a nicer restaurant or bar I suspect that 1 gin-and-tonic would actually be more than 1 drink.

People also need to realize that on those calculators that it's only 12 ounces that is considered 1 beer. Many people might have a 16 or 20 ounce glass or mug but continue to think of it as one drink.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuq-
.08 is the point where skills are proven to deteriorate. study after study has shown this

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't there been studies done that have shown that since the drop from .10 to .08 alcohol-related accidents and deaths have seen virtually no change but the number of arrests has nearly doubled?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Don't expect MADD or law enforcement to report these statistics though. No idea why? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 AM

Actually, I thought I saw some article that was trying to show how drunk-driving fatalities have gone down since .08 was enacted in some places.
I suspect this is more likely just some creative re-working of the numbers or perhaps also due to safer and safer vehicles, overall education and designated-driver type campaigns, etc.
But definitely you can count on MADD and other organizations to inappropriately credit the 0.8 law with actually saving lives whether it makes a difference or not.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:38 AM

Bro, rent the movie Edmond, the ending is touching.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 AM

That sucks that you have to deal with all of this especially at 20, but honestly I think if you got off here that would be pretty terrible. Without punishment you probably have like a 99% of driving drunk again whether or not you get caught, and waiting until you kill some family in another car before you have to pay for it is just retarded.

Nothing against you though and I hope your time goes as well as possible, hopefully it will be a life changing experience that will help you in the long run. IMO you should be glad no one including yourself was ever hurt because thats something you can never go back and fix.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP- I'm sorry you have to spend time in prison... I'm VERY much a fan of punishments that fit the crime. I agree you have some issues, you need some rehab, and you committed some SERIOUS crimes. Luckily for you, no one was hurt and hence I think the punishment should fit the crime. The responses you're getting about putting you out to rot are ridiculous. It's kind of like saying someone who discharges a fire arm in public should be tried for first degree murder even if no one died. Of course you can't, no one died, no one was ACTUALLY injured?

I think 60-90 days in the big house to give you time to detox and think about your crime would be sufficient. Good luck. As others have advised, learn a language and/or take advantage of some vocational program.

Furthermore, what I think TUQ is trying to get out... is that with DUI's, MADD and other special interest groups have done such a great job of vilianizing DUI offenders... the punishment no LONGER fits the crime.

Case and point is me. You can refer to my whole trip report about getting a DUI from a couple months ago. First time offense. Pulled over for speeding (NOT driving impaired)... blew a 0.09 and got busted.

Went to trial after my attorney found out that the road side calibrator had not been properly maintained AND the officer testified during the DMV hearing that she had improperly administered the road side tests.

After a week of testimony that all pointed to several errors during my arrest... the jury still found me guilty. I STRONGLY feel that at least 10 of the 12 jurors had their mind made up before even hearing evidence.

Not only was I found guilty... but the a-hole judge told me and my lawyer that we had wasted his time with a trial... should have gone with a plea deal... and he DOUBLED everything the DA recommended. I was actually penalized (what lawyers call "trial tax") for exercising my rights as a citizen.

ABSOLUTELY sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

yet another situation where you somehow are getting the shaft, but are not in the wrong. you sure have awful luck.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:18 AM

Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 AM

OP, good luck and please take this time to learn something that will help in your future life. Don't just waste this time; use it to make yourself a better person.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that drifted afield of the DUI conversation. I just can't bring myself to point out for the millionth effing time in these threads how artificially low .08 is and how the proselytizers probably drive over that limit fairly regularly without even realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, your reaction time, hand-eye-coordination, etc. is already seriously impaired at 0.8‰, whether you realize it or not.

I have driven under influence only once in my life, cannabis not alcohol though, and it was very stupid, dangerous and unnecessary (I could have walked home easily, but I decided to do a friend a favour and bring him home with my car). I never did it again, and I am very strongly opposed to drunk driving.
That said, 2 1/2 years is totally excessive imo, that kind of punishment should be reserved for crimes where people actually got hurt. A couple months at most + probabation + obligatory AA meetings + taking the driving license away would seem more appropriate to me.