Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Over-betting Aces a good or bad idea?

I've actually seen players do this at a few different levels. To me, it's pretty obvious that they are holding aces when they open push pre flop. But, to inexperienced players who have never seen the move before, it may work.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 PM

The one thing that makes poker a beautiful game is that it is all situational dependent. For instance, how you play your aces is dependent on how the conditions are at the table. Sounds so obvious, but I believe that poker is all about how you understand yourself. For instance, I like to raise 3X the blind when I'm coming into a hand whether it be with suited connectors or pocket aces. If I'm well aware that I'm doing that, I can make an overbet to get some attention from the smarter players. An overbet isn't bad if the conditions are right (i.e how you are playing your big pocket pairs in that moment).
Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 PM

It depends on you situation (positon, action in front of you, and reads on your opponents) Also I think it depends on whether you're playing in a brick & mortar or online..in my experience people play differently. The big argument for the large overbet is it reduces your competition and your less likely to get drawn out on. However, the object of poker is to win the most CHIPS not the most POTS so there is an argument to make the standard or slightly larger raise and play the hand out.