Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Default 2$ MTT Hand Help

Stack sizes didnt come out in this but every villain is deeper than me. On HAND 3 I have been reduced to 1220 and haven't raised a single hand.

1. Is it OK to set mine here, I find myself losing a lot sometimes so thought I'd check it was OK.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t80</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t140)</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t220)</font>, SB calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>, BB calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t360)</font>.

2. Raise here or check? Am I playing marginal hands out of position too strongly. AQo is the lowest of my raising range from the bb

Full Tilt Poker
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, 3 folds, SB calls t25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t125)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t200</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: t150 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: t150

3. Is this ok, I could try and justify by saying I had a tight image but its a $2 so no-one gives a [censored]. Is this just boredom induced spew?

Full Tilt Poker
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t150</font>, CO calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t225)</font>, Button calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t375)</font>, 2 folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t525, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in t2170</font>, Button folds, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t1920 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: t1025
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: 2$ MTT Hand Help

1. considering you need to win, on balance, 24 times as much as you bet by set mining this is a fold since you would need to get 2 ppl allin to actually show a long term profit.

2. is standard imo

3. pf is fine, flop I would probably just c/f since your c-bet will likely not win here a lot and the turn is awful to play OP even if a miracle Ace should show up. With some reads I might easily c-bet here though if I perceive the 2 callers als loose preflop and tight postflop
Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. considering you need to win, on balance, 24 times as much as you bet by set mining this is a fold since you would need to get 2 ppl allin to actually show a long term profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Where do you get 24:1?

Your chances of flopping a set are about 8:1. You do need a little better odds than that, since you won't double up every time you hit a set. If it's less than 10% of your stack, calling for set value is fine (especially in a multiway pot).

To OP:
Hand #1 is fine.
Hand #2 is fine.
Hand #3 I fold preflop. I am not a fan of Ace-rag sort of hands, especially from MP.
If I do raise, I don't cbet on this flop OOP.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Hand 1 is fine. The button's not OOP. Unless you meant the first comment to be for the other two hands. It's a min-raise that's guaranteed to be very multi-way, getting almost 3:1 at that moment. It's a great spot to play a PP.

Hand 2, I'd raise a little more. You've got a limper and the small blind already in the pot. I HATE being in the middle. I'd rather be first to act than sandwiched. Raise more to discourage the limpers from playing.

Hand 3, if you're going to C-Bet, do it a lttle more. Less than 1/2 pot will seem like weakness. I'd put you on two big cards that whiffed and call, and then raise a turn bet that's not A, K or Q. Avoid looking like you've got two missed overs and are scared of the flop. Otherwise, check behind. It's good to check behind on drawy boards when you whiff. The more draws, the more someone can have a pair, a draw, or 2-pair. Let them check twice sometimes before C-Betting.