Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM

Default TPTK in difficult spot

Hi Guys,

This is an online 2-4 hand I played a few days ago. I found the decision making a bit difficult.

Hero is BB: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 is a pretty tight player who raises under the gun with only his better starting hands. His stats say he raises 7% but he is aware of the value of position.

PF: UTG+1 raises, Hero calls.

After his raise I thought his most likely hands were AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ, AJ and KQ. I just call because I figure my equity is about even versus his range, calling might add some deception and I don't like playing this hand out of position against a fairly good hand/player. Debatable?

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players) Pot: 4sb

Hero checks, Villain bets, hero calls.

I am behind most of his range now. I am only ahead of AJ and KQ that gives 20 combinations I beat and 31 that beat me. But I have GSSD and a BDFD and I could might still have the best hand. So I c-c.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players) Pot: 3bb

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

At this point I am a small favorite over his range. But my equity is thin and agression would scare hands I beat and lets me get punished by hands that crush me because I can't fold here.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players) Pot: 5bb

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero folds.

Can I possibly call here? Now I only beat 3 AA's and 12 AJ's but I guess Villain would not bet that hand at this spot.

How would you guys play this hand? Should I play different?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: TPTK in difficult spot

I call preflop 100% of the time. In fact, the new 2+2 limit book suggests calling with A2s here!

You say that part of the reason that didn't raise the turn is that you didn't want villian to fold a hand that you beat but I don't see him folding any of those hands if you range for him is correct.

Btw, how many hands do you have on villian? If it's only a hundred or two that 7 PFR might really be 4 or 14...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 AM

i donk the turn
Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM

If his PFR is really 7 and he's aware of position, he's probably got a more narrow range than you gave him when he raises UTG, for instance he might not raise KQo or AJo. Then again if the sample is small he could have a wider range.

I like your thought process and think you played it fine. We're not really much of a favorite on the turn, and he'll often value bet a blank river with AA/KK/AJ.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 AM

I don't hate how this is played, but I'd be tempted to get more bets in on the turn since I figure you're probably ahead and have quite a few outs if behind. Although getting owned by something better and not wanting to fold the river would be bad.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Who is the villian in this hand if this is on FTP? This hand looks VERY familiar for some reason.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the villian in this hand if this is on FTP? This hand looks VERY familiar for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't. Villain in this hand is dutch. I've played against him quite a lot.

Thx for the replies guys.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 AM

This is probably one of the most intresting hands ever posted [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
I've looked at it a couple of times and that rivercard is rather nasty.
I think you should have c/r the turn just because of his handrange. If you put him on those ranges then you should protect your hand here, cause it is drawheavy.
Then again, he might just have AK.. hmmmmz.. this is a hard hand!

I think this is one of those hands you should play by your feeling.