Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM

Default .50/1 - QTs flopped flush

Hey guys,

I've been playing limit hold em for the past 3 years and have been fairly successful at it. I currently play 5/10 and 10/20 and mod the SSlimit forum. I really want to work on my NL game (or establish one, since I really don't have one) over winter break.

So I will be posting here a good deal and look forward to the discussion. Please flame away at me and be very blunt with what I am doing wrong.

Thanks guys, on to the hand...

First orbit or 2 at the table. I might have taken one pot down on the flop but haven't done much else, so my image shouldn't be established in anyone's head. First table of NL this year, so no reads. Table was playing passive/semi-loose as a whole, though.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes: Me ~$77, villain ~$56.

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($6, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, 3 folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($18, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $18</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($54, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $20</font>, CO calls.

Results:
Final pot: $94

I think I should have c/red AI on the turn, but I am wondering if continuing the lead on the turn is better... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Haupt_234
Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: .50/1 - QTs flopped flush

Given that villain is a shorty, I'm very happy to get AI with second nut flush. I think a lot of villains are checking behind on this turn, so I'm leading with the intention to call a push.

As played with the turn check, I definitely push.

As played, open push river.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 PM

First. I fold QT OOP pre-flop. Dominated hands have much less value in NL than in limit.

Post flop really looks okay, especially since he is short stacked --- Why are you short stacked? Download the AHK script for auto rebuy.

Check raising the turn only gets a call from the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] River blocker allows a set or lower club to call.

Question. If villain shoves the river what do you do (assume he has 100bbs to start).

Welcome to SSNL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

i like the line tbh, even preflop. I suppose you´re a good enough player that you won´t get to involved if you catch a pair on the flop with this hand in a multiway limped pot.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you short stacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only loaded $80, which I pretty much now know is a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
Question. If villain shoves the river what do you do (assume he has 100bbs to start).

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain shoves on the river, I would have called since I played the turn fairly passively and it is tough to put me on a high flush. Readless, I wouldn't want to assume he has the nuts just because he shoved when checked to even though his flop smooth call is scary...

If I led the the turn, was called, and led the river only to be shoved, I think I could make the lay down assuming I wasn't committed. And I have no idea what it takes to be committed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Haupt_234
Old 12-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Buy in full.

Screw full table. Go to 6-max. That's where all the fishies are. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fold preflop. Being OOP sux in NL and your hand is weak.

Flop is goot. Turn, meh, I don't mind getting AI with the shortie, but your line is goot too.

Welcome to NL.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If villain shoves on the river, I would have called since I played the turn fairly passively and it is tough to put me on a high flush. Readless, I wouldn't want to assume he has the nuts just because he shoved when checked to even though his flop smooth call is scary...

If I led the the turn, was called, and led the river only to be shoved, I think I could make the lay down assuming I wasn't committed. And I have no idea what it takes to be committed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Haupt_234

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you get it. Though with the short stacks, I doubt it would be correct to fold the river.

To reiterate, I think pre-flop was your only mistake here. The later streets you really can not screw up unless you misclick the fold button.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM

At a 7-handed table you really need to fold this preflop from this position. I guess if you had raised it I could say "meh" but calling is definitely -EV (and would be with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as well).

Playing draws OOP is the biggest difference in limit/NL -- there are very few spots where you will have to make a tough decision OOP if you flop a draw in limit, but that'll happen virtually every time in NL.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM

So did you have the winner? Im assuming you did. I like the bet on the flop. I however, dont like the check on the turn. By checking and calling, you're giving him the green light to bet. Though it worked out this time, I still like you leading at the turn. If he raises you then, you now have something to think about. If you lead the turn and get called, you should be able to lead at the river and get called as well, in turn winning a bigger pot.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I however, dont like the check on the turn. By checking and calling, you're giving him the green light to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn lets worse hands off the hook. Hero is going broke here anyway if villain has the ace. Why not allow 2-pr or a set to make a stab at it?

Also, look at stack sizes. Hero doesn't lose much value by checking the turn.