Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Dogfighting, Sports memorabilia and now genetics.

Nobel prize winner says that all races are not equal.

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
One of the world's most eminent scientists was embroiled in an extraordinary row last night after he claimed that black people were less intelligent than white people and the idea that "equal powers of reason" were shared across racial groups was a delusion.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in the unravelling of DNA who now runs one of America's leading scientific research institutions, drew widespread condemnation for comments he made ahead of his arrival in Britain today for a speaking tour at venues including the Science Museum in London.

The 79-year-old geneticist reopened the explosive debate about race and science in a newspaper interview in which he said Western policies towards African countries were wrongly based on an assumption that black people were as clever as their white counterparts when "testing" suggested the contrary. He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to think. This man is a scientist with a Nobel Prize. He helped discover DNA. I am making the leap that he is a qualified expert on genetics and makes his assertions based on the preponderance of evidence and the scientific method. Perhaps that makes me a racist. I would hope it does not.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Dogfighting, Sports memorabilia and now genetics.

[ QUOTE ]
don't know what to think. This man is a scientist with a Nobel Prize. He helped discover DNA. I am making the leap that he is a qualified expert on genetics and makes his assertions based on the preponderance of evidence and the scientific method. Perhaps that makes me a racist. I would hope it does not.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought it was interesting and the underlying principle that there can be difference among groups seems sound. However, he made the comment, "He said there was a natural desire that all human beings should be equal but "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true" seems to be born out of pure racism.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM

Many of the comments made by this guy prove that he is merely a bigot, and his "assertions" have nothing to do with scientific evidence.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many of the comments made by this guy prove that he is merely a bigot, and his "assertions" have nothing to do with scientific evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to concede some of his statements in the article, particularly the one about anyone having to work with black people are bigotted. I am more interested in the studies he mentions.

There was the book, "The Bell Curve" that was mentioned in the article. Apparently, there is some evidence to support his assertions in that.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to concede some of his statements in the article, particularly the one about anyone having to work with black people are bigotted. I am more interested in the studies he mentions.

There was the book, "The Bell Curve" that was mentioned in the article. Apparently, there is some evidence to support his assertions in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which assumes that "Intelligence must be primarily genetically based", but provides no proof. The fact that blacks score lower than whites on IQ tests does not go anywhere near far enough.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which assumes that "Intelligence must be primarily genetically based", but provides no proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously true. Do you see why?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which assumes that "Intelligence must be primarily genetically based", but provides no proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Intelligence is also primarily molecule-based too. I always think its funny when people misuse arguments like that about the "biological nature" or the "genetic nature" of certain traits.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM

This guy also knows more about the effects of someone's genetics on their life than you do. Do you see why?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an accurate way of measuring intelligence? No
Have scientists proved the existence of genes responsible for intelligence? No
Do I see why? No
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sent my dog to harvard, he didn't come out noticiably smarter. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the reason people do better than dogs at Harvard can be traced back to differences in our DNA.