Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Default 11r - limped early TT hand

PartyPoker $11 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1960)
UTG+1 (t2480)
MP1 (t1840)
MP2 (t1880)
MP3 (t3900)
CO (t1740)
Button (t2280)
Hero (t1960)
BB (t1960)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t40, CO calls t40, Button calls t40, Hero calls t20, BB checks

Flop: (t240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t200

Turn: (t640) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t350</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t2040 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1370 (All-in)

Villain is a total fish, could have the 9, a flush draw, straight draw pp, anything here. I felt he was fishy enough that I could call the allin on the turn here and be ahead most of the time. How should I be playing this hand readless?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: 11r - limped early TT hand

Ack... I hate these type of hands. I always tell myself that if I limp TT I'm playing it for set value only. Of course then you get that nice looking pot with your overpair...

Against unknowns my play would be check/fold or lead like you did, and shut down vs more than one caller. About a 50-50 split between the two. Against just a single caller I'm willing to go all the way on a blank turn because A9 and the flush draw and maybe something like 88 or 77 will do this often enough to be profitable. Of course I think playing the TT strictly for set value here is fine as well.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:40 AM

Wouldn't A9 have raised the flop? I think I fold to the push. Looks like Jcxc, 22, 55, maybe Ah5h or something. I probably raise PF to about 240 or so, but calling is okay.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't A9 have raised the flop? I think I fold to the push. Looks like Jcxc, 22, 55, maybe Ah5h or something. I probably raise PF to about 240 or so, but calling is okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising pf is horrible IMO. I think readless I lead the flop and then shutdown, maybe check/calling small bets for a cheap showdown. Is this a good line? Did you not take notice of my read on villain in the OP? I've played with him a number of times before and seen him push early with low flush draws, top pair etc. If you want further proof he had 7c8c.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM

If villian is a complete fish you played it fine.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM

Readless, I check PF. Lead the flop. C/call small turn bets and c/fold large ones.

As played, I would have to have a strong read to call the AI.

Stu
Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising pf is horrible IMO. I think readless I lead the flop and then shutdown, maybe check/calling small bets for a cheap showdown. Is this a good line? Did you not take notice of my read on villain in the OP? I've played with him a number of times before and seen him push early with low flush draws, top pair etc. If you want further proof he had 7c8c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I missed the read on villain in OP.

I don't see how raising PF is "horrible." It may be no better than completing, but you have the best hand at least 80% of the time here I think. What's wrong with taking it down now or getting someone heads-up? I can certainly see the argument for just completing, but it can't be horrible.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:45 PM

Maybe not horrible, bad IMO though. Reasons for completing -
1. We are OOP
2. Lots of limpers, at and 11 your going to get at least one or 2 callers.
3. Our hand isnt that strong. At least one overcard is going to appear about 70%??? of the time.
4. If we raise, we have to raise to about 200 or 240 to thin the field. This creates a very big pot, not what we want early with TT.

Completing is the best way to play this hand, playing for set value, and I play it as a cautious overpair (apart from against this villain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Early in a SNG I need a very good reason to be involved in a big pot. This ain't one.