Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 PM

Default $22- Let the Big Stacks fight it out?

How often does the other big stack call the 4 bet allin? How often does the 4 bettor have AA? Both players had been playing "reasonably" for a 22 player, so i don't think either is tricky enough to be pulling anything fancy. Should I know better than to ever consider folding KK?
PartyPoker $22 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2010)
Button (t2390)
SB (t7639)
BB (t7961)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t1100</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t7961</font>
results
<font color="white">(All-in), Hero calls t2010 (All-in), SB calls t7639 (All-in)

Flop: (t19610) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)

Turn: (t19610) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)

River: (t19610) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
i guess it doesn't put full results, BB had AA, SB had JJ so it worked out
</font>
Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: $22- Let the Big Stacks fight it out?

Hero calls in a hurry.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 PM

You can't fold here.

I don't really like the standard raise here. If the other guys are very aggressive I limp knowing they can't restrain themselves. If they are normal players a push disguises the strength of your hand better.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Ok that's what I thought. I've been running iffy and it was kinda an odd situation so I wondered a bit afterwords. Also, obviously I'm trying to get action with my kings, at the lower levels people seem much more likely to reraise/call standard raises than pushes. I didn't feel they were aggressive enough for a limp reraise.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM

I don't hate the standard raise (obviously a push is preferred), but if you're going to open-raise you can't be afraid of the action you sought.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Really, people had been going out in a hurry and I hadn't really been pushing yet. Usually I find I'll have good FE on pushes until they figure out what I'm doing which takes a while. But if the action goes, hero raise 600, SB allin, BB allin, wouldn't it be a fold?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really, people had been going out in a hurry and I hadn't really been pushing yet. Usually I find I'll have good FE on pushes until they figure out what I'm doing which takes a while. But if the action goes, hero raise 600, SB allin, BB allin, wouldn't it be a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd never fold KK with stacks like this.

Sure you could interpret the raise-reraise as signs of increadible strength but more often BB is just trying to push SB out of the hand knowing he can't call. Then he gets an excellent price. You can fold if both SB and BB get all their money in the middle, but here SB acts after you.