Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 AM

Default War Tax Resistance

Hi I am wondering about this topic. What are the options for somebody who strongly opposes the war in Iraq and doesn't want to support it by paying taxes? As far as I can tell someone can refuse to pay in which case some combination of them going to jail and their assets being seized will take place. Or they could leave the country and take all their money and not come back.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: War Tax Resistance

http://www.warresisters.org/what_is.htm

that's a pretty good site on it. seems hard for a person who actually has money to do tax resistance because they have so much to lose. as far as i can tell, most people who do tax resistence withold a token amount just ot make a statement, or they don't have that much money to begin with. people who actually have money would probably have their assets taken by the IRS.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people who actually have money would probably have their assets taken by the IRS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Offshore corporations in the Caribbean.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:15 AM

but yukoncpa, if a person had significant money then the case would become more worthwhile and important to the IRS so they IRS would press crimanl charges and put them in jail, and also the person could not own real estate in the US or a car or anything of value cause the government could then just take it... no?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but yukoncpa, if a person had significant money then the case would become more worthwhile and important to the IRS so they IRS would press crimanl charges and put them in jail, and also the person could not own real estate in the US or a car or anything of value cause the government could then just take it... no?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The IRS loves to target tax protesters. A basic step in tax avoidence is: Keep your mouth shut about being a tax protester. Or be broke. Like the song says, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."
Old 10-14-2007, 03:36 AM

Yeah but a very good reason to protest taxes is to send a statemetn that you are willing to put yourself in a tough situation because you are so opposed to the war and supporting it by paying taxes. So the "keep your mouth shut" is against the spirit of the activity.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah but a very good reason to protest taxes is to send a statemetn that you are willing to put yourself in a tough situation because you are so opposed to the war and supporting it by paying taxes. So the "keep your mouth shut" is against the spirit of the activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% legal way to not pay taxes and protest the war is to not make money.

ghandi and stuff when it's an organized activity it's called a work stoppage or a general strike.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with your sentiment. I’ll stay out of your OP. I find it interesting. Carry on.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 AM

Lately, I feel that people who resist taxes are missing the point and/or not really getting what the government is. This is not about resisting the playground bully this is about not agitating the guys with the guns pointed at your face and back.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately, I feel that people who resist taxes are missing the point and/or not really getting what the government is. This is not about resisting the playground bully this is about not agitating the guys with the guns pointed at your face and back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see the spirit of Patrick Henry is alive and well in this country.