Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Min raising draws with position, ever a good play?

I've seen that min-raising draws with position on your opponent has become somewhat of a 'fashion-move' at the limits I play.. Maybe it shud be part of the arsenal for all good players, but for me this concept is pretty new and I would like to know what the other 2+2-ers think about this play..
I usually raise draws because I think I have FE and want to take the pot down right there..
Might min-raising a draw with position on the pf-raiser be correct when u don't think u have FE and might be able to get a card for free?
Anyways I don't see this play as especially good in any situation, but would like to hear from people with other meanings on this
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Min raising draws with position, ever a good play?

Not to derail but it does seem like minraise must be a good play in certain situations. I do not know where, doesn't seem like a draw is best spot though. If you have FE wouldn't a standard raise be best? I've been calling in position with drawing hands more recently for no particular reason.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:37 AM

If u have FE I def see a standard raise as the right play, but f.ex. on a board containing an ace and a tight player c-bets (let's say he has the ace), might a min-raise be a better play than raising standard or even folding in some situations? He might check the turn to you and you can check behind unimproved... It becomes a small investment for a free card
Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 AM

Min-raising draws in position will probably achieve a free card most of the time but I like to have some fold equity to go with it which a min-raise greatly reduces the chance of over a standard 3 or 4x raise.

Also if you min-raise draws then you need to min-raise sets and other holdings occassionaly to avoid becoming too readable and in doing so you'll lose value from your stronger holdings when you want to build a pot. Doesn't seem worth it to me. The occassional min-raise won't hurt though.