Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Pub/Bar Poker in Texas

I am looking for some information about pub/bar style poker tournaments in Texas. I run a tournament in Alaska (Alaska has similar gaming laws as TX.) A lady from Texas visited my tournament and she told me she had a friend that "rented" poker chips to players in the bar for a small fee then the bar held a free poker tournament for prizes. I thought it was an interesting concept. Has anyone had experience playing in this type of tournament?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Pub/Bar Poker in Texas

Sounds illegal. Free bar poker is legal, if you bring money into it like that, sounds dodgy. Unless the renting is that he rents the chips to the bar to use in running the league.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 PM

Sure, in the Boston area there are several organizations that do this:
www.bigstackpoker.com
www.amateurpokerleague.com
www.riverchasers.com

Bar pays the organization to run a free poker event (no buyin). The organization brings a TD and chips and tables, and offers a small prize to the winner for the night. People are drawn into the bar/restaurant for the free poker/prizes. The people buy food and the bar/restaurant makes money.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Boston, Texas?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds illegal. Free bar poker is legal, if you bring money into it like that, sounds dodgy. Unless the renting is that he rents the chips to the bar to use in running the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the person who owned the chips renting them directly to the players. Kind of like when you play pool and you rent the balls or if you go bowling and you rent the shoes.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM

That's... unorthodox and could possibly attract legal attention if the authorities want to care.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Yeah... not a chance I would be any part of that scheme. No attorney general or county prosecutor is going to let that happen. I've seen articles in local papers sparked by these bar tournaments where the local law was asked why it was allowed and the answer was that it must be absolutely, totally, 100% free without absolutely, totally, no strings of any sort whatsoever. No requirement to buy drinks or food, no cover charge, NOTHING. ANY exchange of money from player to establishment as a condition to playing would make the games illegal.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM

That's what I thought but like I said, someone told me about it and I thought I would see if this was a practice someone could verify was actually being used.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM

bav: Not strictly true, there was a legal ruling that it's ok for the bars to give prizes to the winners. In Texas.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bav: Not strictly true, there was a legal ruling that it's ok for the bars to give prizes to the winners. In Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]
I said the exchange of money the other direction is a problem; players CANNOT give money to the establishment. The establishment is welcome to provide prizes, yes. They just can't charge a penny for it. If you have to "rent chips" to play, you're charging an entry fee and you're gonna be charged with a felony in most states, I think, when the law catches on.