Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Borgata PR sports betting charges being brought

I see what you're getting at about the world around us becoming a worse place if loansharking and the like go completely unchecked, but I think, to a degree, that's already the case in many places. There are different norms of conduct in different places. Atlantic City is a pretty bad place. Wander into the wrong neighborhood late at night, you might get your throat cut over your watch and wallet. The same thing goes for L.A., Vegas, Detroit, and many other cities. Crime tends to graviate toward certain areas, both geographic and otherwise. Poverty-stricken cities and gambling are two areas that are very attractive of crime. When I say that people can avoid the effects of this type of crime by avoiding getting involved, I don't mean just not getting involved with loansharks, I mean steering clear of shady cities and gambling. No matter what the loansharks do, no matter how prevalent crime becomes in A.C., or Vegas, or L.A., it will barely have any impact on a guy who lives his life on the straight and narrow in a nice quiet suburb in Idaho.

I am definately a libertarian, and people on the wrong side of the law aren't the "criminals" I'm most concerned about. A bureaucrat wearing a cheap suit armed with a bunch of paperwork is far more likely to have a negative impact on my life than a meathead wearing a leather jacket and a pinky ring armed with a baseball bat.

The world is already a very f'd up place. Always has been, probably always will be. That's just human nature, pure and simple. I'm not going to worry more about certain people, just because the law places them in a certain category. I'm sure cops kick down a hell of a lot more doors than home invaders. And with the home invaders, I at least have a decent chance of winning in a shootout.