Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Building a bankroll in mtt tournaments

Hey everyone I am trying to build up a bankroll from about 50 dollars (I am a college student so cant really afford much else at a time). I heard that playing in mtt is a good way to do this. I was thinking of trying to do this by playing in 2 dollar 180 person sit and goes on Full Tilt. Does this sound reasonable to anyone?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll in mtt tournaments

good luck, but for 2/180s I think you should have at least $250.

i would suggest the 1/45 and 1/18 on stars, and search for some freerolls of course.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that playing in mtt is a good way to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies.

Anyhow, you are wanting to take 25 BIs (actually less b/c of rake) into 180 man MTTs? Probably a bad idea. Try the 1/45s on stars first.

Your best bet at building quickly is to go to cash games. Then play MTTs when winning something will actually be worth your time.

Sherman
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM

Go find a part-time job, work for a couple of weeks, take $500 of the money you made, deposit that, and start playing the $4/180's, the $6/45's and other <$10 mtt's.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM

Three months ago i started playing 2$ 9 player SnGs for bankroll building. I deposited 50$ played like 100 but couldn't get well. I was stuck around 120-100$. I was learning the game. After two months of playing like 300 SnGs i thought SnGs suck because if you know the perfect strategy for them it still takes too much time to build bankroll. at 2$ 9 players your ROI will be at best %17ish. this means you gain ~0.37$ on one SnG. And if you start your career with downswing it'll really hurt you. Then i started to play 5$ 45 players and got nice cash outs and doubled my bankroll to 200$. But still not cashing in like 5-10 tourneys on a row at 5$ when you have like 150$ really hurts. Now i grinded my bankroll to ~300$ and playing MTTs. This is what i wanted at first but variance is deadly. I still couldn't get to final table like for 40 tourneys, got busted 11.-12. lots of times. It hurts so bad. When i'm down to 220$ i'm playing some cash game and 5$-10$ 45s and make my bankroll up to 300$. Still wondering if MTTs aren't my game.

I can say don't try MTTs first or at least get min. 100 buyins, if you're learning the game 150 buyins.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM

Plz dont do it, stick to 2NL
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM

I am really new to all this. Thanks for all the advice everyone! Yeah I have really noticed how bad the variance is for the tournament play. I guess I will try to grind it out in the low limit cash games. OMG I feel like such a noob but what does 2NL mean? Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Don't do it. It will crush your spirit, melt your brain, and it may not even work. Imagine how you'd feel if you were just on a long cooler but you still felt like you couldn't beat the lowest-stakes games on the internet.

That said, the softest, biggest-payout, fastest-turnaround microstakes tournament for my money is the turbo 3.25 45-man SNG. Low rake, soft field... A guy could give up his job at Chipotle for those.

Seriously, though. You're best off finding a way to come up with a couple hundred bucks to deposit so that you can play a game that returns you a reasonable hourly rate. The idea is that you can make *more* money playing poker than you can at the Kum-N-Go. or Loaf-N-Jug. or whatever.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Yeah, it is very frustrating. I really enjoy playing tournaments though but I cant afford the 11$ and up ones. So I guess I will be better off by playing the cash games and just using that to finance my tournament play huh? So just out of curiosity what are the rough guidelines for bankroll management? I have seen a lot of conflicting stats and suggestions but I was just wondering what have yall personally found to work?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Well your situation is similar to mine when I made my last deposit about a month ago. I had $46, started playing $2-5$ MTTs (playing at a not-so-major site) and 10NL ring games. It took me about a week to get up to $100 and after that I played the $10 MTTs and 20NL. I cashed at about 50% of the tourneys I played, went to cash tables to grind when I was losing at the MTTs. I'm now up to $640. Although I'm not placing ITM at every tourney I play at, I have consistently improved my BR throughout November.

So yes, it is possible but it's pretty hard at first. The only thing I would recommend you doing is playing at stakes your comfortable with and w´here you can win. When you're a winning player try the next level, if you succeed there you can move up, if not just return to your previous level. At least that's what I've done.