Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Going from no limit to limit HOLD EM

I play NLHE MTT STT CASH. I am considering learning LIMIT if it will significantly help my understanding in NOLIMIT.

I currently have very little experience playing limits, I do not enjoy playing limits as much and find it less fun.
Poker is a hobby ONLY for me.

I was told to spend 20% of my poker time playing limits. Is this good advice? In a recent interview in UK POKERCHANNEL Phil Laak said he wouldn't play LIMITS NOW if you paid him because he finds it so boring (he used to play in the past).

I was also told learning limits is ESSENTIAL to your poker education. (Source maybe unreliable)

SO my question is do you think it would be benifical to my NL PLAY to learn how to play LIMITS well?
If so, how important is this and what portion of time do you suggest dedicating to it.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Going from no limit to limit HOLD EM

[ QUOTE ]
I play NLHE MTT STT CASH. I am considering learning LIMIT if it will significantly help my understanding in NOLIMIT.

I currently have very little experience playing limits, I do not enjoy playing limits as much and find it less fun.
Poker is a hobby ONLY for me.

I was told to spend 20% of my poker time playing limits. Is this good advice? In a recent interview in UK POKERCHANNEL Phil Laak said he wouldn't play LIMITS NOW if you paid him because he finds it so boring (he used to play in the past).

I was also told learning limits is ESSENTIAL to your poker education. (Source maybe unreliable)

SO my question is do you think it would be benifical to my NL PLAY to learn how to play LIMITS well?
If so, how important is this and what portion of time do you suggest dedicating to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's only a hobby, and you really don't like it, stick w/ NL. Personally, I think understanding limit helps your tourniment play more than ring games.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 PM

For me- 6 max limit is a great learning experience and I recommend it highly. I am improving my blind play (must play from a stealing or defending position a higher percentage of the time) I am learning to get better reads (fewer players, more opportunities to observe each players actions) I am learning to make decisions based on those reads more frequently than I was able to in full ring.

In limit the concept of pot odds vs drawing odds is extremely important. Some implied equity to consider but not as much as no limilt.

Yes I think there are transerrable concepts that can be better learned at limit full ring and at limit 6 max. Six max experience will help you with your mid game strategy in SnG's. Full ring will help you learn to play the kind of tight game you need in the early stages and in MTT's. I also think learning to play HU strategies would be of benefit as well. For late game in SnG's.

One word of caution though, good NL players develop skill at sizing bets properly for the situation. Of course that doesn't happen in limit so be careful you don't get too used to "min-betting" because you are playing a lot of limit.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM

Prepare to lose money to lucky limit fish player calling you down with crap and hitting there lucky river car and expect your big hands not to be paid off by tough players. So looks like most good players break even or lose a little money in limit holdem.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 PM

I respectfully disagree. A competent limit player should consistently win 1-3 BB/100 hands played on line at micro limits. Sure the things you describe happen every day and you have hot spells and cold spells (variance works both ways) but over time a competent player will win.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prepare to lose money to lucky limit fish player calling you down with crap and hitting there lucky river car and expect your big hands not to be paid off by tough players. So looks like most good players break even or lose a little money in limit holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

all, if you want to see why he says this then look at his post history
Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all, if you want to see why he says this then look at his post history

[/ QUOTE ]

This renereal is really funny [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Read This It is a typical post. It appears he was previously banned and is comming back for more.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy is funny. I voted- elsewhere- for him to be given more chances because of the humor factor. In another thread he said he owns all the 2+2 poker books, yet:
1. still believes in luck (longterm)
2. has the expectation to lose money when he sits to play
3. believes that most good players break even or lose in limit
4. after all that reading still spells their, there
5. believes both the tight-passive and loose-passive players can't be beat
6. his advice to beginners: don't bother

This is really good stuff. I like. When is the renereal guide to limit HE coming out? Can I get on a waiting list?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Back to the original post, I've recently been playing limit, though I started w/ NL. I think that if you play in loose NL games, limit can give you a better feel for what types of hands are really lurking out there, because you see many more showdowns. Maybe more of an idea of what potential hands are typically out there. Limit could help you appreciate NL more, meaning the freedom to size your bets could stand out to you after having played limit. Or, if you're like me, you could welcome the chance to use your knowledge of pot-odds vs. betting odds to a larger degree and enjoy hitting a river card that your opponent was giving you odds to call. Then laugh when they call you a fish, because they're unaware that you actually made the right move. Limit can be fun, maybe not as heart thumping, but fun.