Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Recent Amarillo Slim news?

slim probably just put some of those fake bullet hole stickers on his car
Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
n addition consider that the jurisdiction was probably a Baptist part of Texas that is very hostile to gamblers, and that there are all kinds of possible inheritance or family feud issues that could motivate false or exaggerated testimony.

The fact that they pled the charges down to a misdemeanor looks a lot like the prosecutor tried to save face on a case that he couldn't win, perhaps because the accusation was not credible.

Also FWIW the only story I have heard about the content of the allegation was that he gave girl a pervy hug in the presence of others. No nudity, no penetration... don't forgot how broad a category sexual misconduct is.

Also FWIW I would guess he is a scumbag based on all kinds of anecdotes prior to this... I just doubt he's a child molestor.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was for three different dates and the original DA was taken off the case because amarillo slim confessed to him.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
n addition consider that the jurisdiction was probably a Baptist part of Texas that is very hostile to gamblers, and that there are all kinds of possible inheritance or family feud issues that could motivate false or exaggerated testimony.

The fact that they pled the charges down to a misdemeanor looks a lot like the prosecutor tried to save face on a case that he couldn't win, perhaps because the accusation was not credible.

Also FWIW the only story I have heard about the content of the allegation was that he gave girl a pervy hug in the presence of others. No nudity, no penetration... don't forgot how broad a category sexual misconduct is.

Also FWIW I would guess he is a scumbag based on all kinds of anecdotes prior to this... I just doubt he's a child molestor.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was for three different dates and the original DA was taken off the case because amarillo slim confessed to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that from the Austin news?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Amarillo Globe-News

A Randall County grand jury indicted legendary poker player Amarillo Slim Preston in connection with allegations he inappropriately touched a child.

The three indictments against Thomas Austin "Amarillo Slim" Preston Jr. for indecency with a child by contact list three dates when he allegedly touched the child - Jan. 1, March 13 and March 14.

Jurors met for nearly three hours Friday with Oldham County District Attorney Don Davis, and the indictments were returned about noon.

Davis was appointed to the investigation July 29 when Randall County Criminal District Attorney James Farren recused himself because Preston "made admissions" to Farren regarding the allegations against him, said Robert Love, a Randall County assistant district attorney.

Farren and Preston's wife, Helen, are listed on the indictment as testifying before the grand jury.

[...]

Amarillo Globe News (registration required I believe)
Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slim probably just put some of those fake bullet hole stickers on his car

[/ QUOTE ]

"Officer, these are 'speed holes.' Let me explain..."
Old 11-22-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Amarillo Globe-News

A Randall County grand jury indicted legendary poker player Amarillo Slim Preston in connection with allegations he inappropriately touched a child.

The three indictments against Thomas Austin "Amarillo Slim" Preston Jr. for indecency with a child by contact list three dates when he allegedly touched the child - Jan. 1, March 13 and March 14.

Jurors met for nearly three hours Friday with Oldham County District Attorney Don Davis, and the indictments were returned about noon.

Davis was appointed to the investigation July 29 when Randall County Criminal District Attorney James Farren recused himself because Preston "made admissions" to Farren regarding the allegations against him, said Robert Love, a Randall County assistant district attorney.

Farren and Preston's wife, Helen, are listed on the indictment as testifying before the grand jury.

[...]

Amarillo Globe News (registration required I believe)

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually works against your argument.

Which is more likely:

A. Amarillo Slim told the prosecutor "Well you got me, I am a child molestor, but let's just let bygones be bygones."

or

B. Amarillo said something like "Look I'll level with you, I hugged her a little closer than I should have because she's kind of hot. You seriously going to send me to jail for that?"

If he had actually made a serious confession to the prosecutor, the prosecutor would have testified against him and they wouldn't have even offered a deal.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 AM

I saw Amarillo slim hitting on KAthy Liebert on a tournament in Oklahoma, he needs to get his eyes check, kathy would pull out a bigger wanker than he would.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This actually works against your argument.

Which is more likely:

A. Amarillo Slim told the prosecutor "Well you got me, I am a child molestor, but let's just let bygones be bygones."

or

B. Amarillo said something like "Look I'll level with you, I hugged her a little closer than I should have because she's kind of hot. You seriously going to send me to jail for that?"

If he had actually made a serious confession to the prosecutor, the prosecutor would have testified against him and they wouldn't have even offered a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the hypothetical confessions you make up to support your argument have him flat out admit to being a child abuser or admit to inappropriate contact w/ the girl because of his sexual feelings for her. lol.

the DA did testify against him in front of the grand jury. it's generally in the best interest of the state to offer plea bargains even if they feel they have a solid case.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 AM

hmm,whats worse, pleading guilty and having some 2+2'ers talk about it, or having a long, drawn out trial, where things will be said that may or may not be true- and giving more fodder for new stations and sensationalist websites to work with. Last time I remember, Michael Jaxson was aquitted of all child molestation charges, but thats not what people remember.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Jaxson

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy?