Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Morale Dilema

[ QUOTE ]

GG
NYS law
If you have are near the car, and the car is off but have the keys its s DWI. Im not even kidding.
Take example you were so drunk you pulled into an empty parking lot drawled in the back seat and feel asleep with your keys on you. You'd get the DWI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, because back in the day in Georgia the rumor was that if you crawled into the back seat to sleep off a drunk you should take the keys out of the ignition. I never knew that was an actual law anywhere.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM

My post is sorta hard to understand but basically if you are in or near the car and have the keys to the car and are drunk its a DUI.

This is how it was explained to me in Traffic School/Drivers Ed
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM

Don't lie for this guy. He's only been caught 3 times. How many time's has he done it without being caught.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM

Going to jail for perjury isn't my idea of helping a brotha out. Will the prosecutor be able to destroy your story? Can anyone place you away from the accident? Why did you leave the scene? Where did you go? Why didn't you return? What did you friend tell the cop at the scene? I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure I could blow hole sin this charade without working up a sweat.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM

It's funny...in the past, every reply to these kinds of threads used to be "i'd bury the body yada yada"... but all of a sudden no one wants to lie under oath because it's morally wrong. I never get OOT.

I think if one of my best friends asked I'd probably do it, but I wouldn't offer. Afterwards I' smack the hell outta them for driving drunk and putting both of us in that situation
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 AM

tough one, but i don't think i'm willing to perjure myself for someone who is entirely to blame for the situation he is in. the fact that i'm in law school probably influences my decision, because something like this could have a devastating impact on the rest of my career.

a few years ago, i had a friend who got drunk one night and ended up vandalizing one of the buildings on our college campus, causing very significant damage. the cops were looking for who did it, and i was fortunate that they never contacted me, because i was not going to risk an obstruction of justice charge by lying to them. (i was especially fortunate since they basically interviewed everyone in our apartment, though i wasn't there when they made the rounds.)
anyways, they ended up finding out without having to talk to me. but i think that generally, if you do something completely stupid, something for which only you are to blame, you shouldn't expect people, even your friends, to risk perjuring themselves for you.

edit: i forgot to mention that he was my roommate when he did this, which makes me especially curious as to why the police did not try harder to contact me.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dark ages was a great series of mtg

[/ QUOTE ]

it was the dark, not dark ages. i played magic for a bit in high school, god it was so long ago. i would never even think to consider myself a magic nerd, yet the morale card is the first thing i thought of for a split second when i saw the thread title.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but all of a sudden no one wants to lie under oath because it's morally wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw my choice to not want to go on the stand has nothing to do with morals, it has to do with not wanting to risk my ass going to jail for his mistake. If I thought there's a good chance I would get away with it I'd do it in a heartbeat.

[ QUOTE ]
My post is sorta hard to understand

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting while intoxicated, sir? Please step away from the keyboard and let me see your interwebs license.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but all of a sudden no one wants to lie under oath because it's morally wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw my choice to not want to go on the stand has nothing to do with morals, it has to do with not wanting to risk my ass going to jail for his mistake. If I thought there's a good chance I would get away with it I'd do it in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]