Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Patrick Antonius WSOPE Hand

Went to rail the WSOPE last night. I play cash games and not really tournaments and obviously don't doubt Antonius and so i must be missing a concept here. As I was a few feet away from the table the bet sizes may be slightly off, but the dealer was announcing them. Blinds were i think 800-1600 w ante.

Young British kid in EP (sat between Kenny Tran and PA - great table draw) raises to 6k. PA calls directly to his left. Kid has ~ 90k i think, PA has stack of around 130k i think. Folds round to button who jams for 14k. All fold to young kid who thinks for a while (pretty sure about re-raising to isolate, not folding). PA calls.

Flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Kid bets ~ 15k I think.
PA calls.

Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Main pot is ~ 44k. Side pot ~ 28k.

Kid checks, PA bets 50k.

Kid agonises and fold, PA shows K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

All in player shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Kid who folded was obv pissed as he'd folded worst hand.

River 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Giving Antonius the nuts. Kid now slightly less agitated.

Why the bet into the sidepot on the turn?

Is it because the sidepot is pretty substantial given his stack size, and or for some pot equity consideration? He must feel that his equity is pretty minimal to win the main pot against the all in players hand. Given the board, all he can beat that the all-in player can have is ten high, of which he has one so even less likely. If we count his K as an out as well as his flush and straight out he's about 39% to win on the river, given 18 'clean' outs.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Patrick Antonius WSOPE Hand

He's betting to get the kid out and win the sidepot and with the redraw on the turn he can probably then take out the all in person. This way he ensures he at least wins the side pot instead of bricking the river and not winning anything. And if he gets c/r on turn I don't think PA is going anywhere anyway. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Patrick Antonius WSOPE Hand

Just donk observations, but:

1. he reads the kid as liking his hand on the flop, but that he doesn't so much after the Q falls, as he only checked there, as he would with AJ, KJ.

2. He gets kid to fold, he breaks even if he loses to the all in player. As it turns out, isolating vs. the all in player makes him almost a coinflip (19 outs) on the river.

3. He's PA, so he always hits on the river, ldo.