Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 PM

Default 6.50 Stars AK played like a Nit?

Early in the tourney, no reads. Is this just standard or do we get more aggressive here? This is probably poker 101 except villian is betting into a 70 side pot, which either means he's strong or an idiot, pretty much a coin flip at the 6.50's

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 (t1417)
MP1 (t1445)
MP2 (t1670)
MP3 (t3085)
CO (t1495)
Hero (t1445)
SB (t138)
BB (t1310)
UTG (t1495)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t150, SB calls t113 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t488) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, Hero folds.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 6.50 Stars AK played like a Nit?

You're getting 4:1 to call, you're about 10:1 to turn a pair, a flop fold looks fine to me. PF looks ok too.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:26 PM

I shove this pf, you will be looked up by way worse hands pretty frequently.

As played the flop fold is good.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 AM

I play it the same and fold the flop. u get to find out if villian is an idiot or not for free.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Am i the only one who would fold this pf?

It might be weak but I hate AKo against an utg raise, even in pos, and youve got to give him some credit here. Lets say hes raising AQ+ and TT+...if you hit and he gives you any action he often has you beat and its pretty hard to lay down tptk here, if you miss hell probably c-bet and you have to fold (im assuming this without a shortstack being AI).

So I cant really see how calling an utg raise with AK can be profitable, but maybe the range im putting him on is too tight...ive been trying to figure out how to play ak in that spot and i think a fold is best, at least against a decent player. Against some donk who doesnt know what hes doing am calling of course.

btw, first post - yay
Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and youve got to give him some credit here. Lets say hes raising AQ+ and TT+...

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 6,50$ I usually don't give anyone credit. And the range is wayyyyy too tight. You can expect much worse hands that raise preflop. On the other hand you see any pp calling a shove in such a spot. So I like a call preflop.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i the only one who would fold this pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're losing value folding AK in this spot. You have position, and if you hit you are likely ahead. If you hit and get action, you can't assume villain has a set or something that strong. TPTK will likely be good, and I generally play it like the nuts, barring an ugly board or other extenuating circumstances.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM

op, sorry that this is not about your original question...btw id fold the flop, but you already know what a nit i am =)

[ QUOTE ]
In a 6,50$ I usually don't give anyone credit. And the range is wayyyyy too tight. You can expect much worse hands that raise preflop. On the other hand you see any pp calling a shove in such a spot. So I like a call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
but youre assuming villain is really bad which i dont like without any read/pahud stats not even in a $6.5(there are some pretty good players imo)

[ QUOTE ]
You're losing value folding AK in this spot. You have position, and if you hit you are likely ahead. If you hit and get action, you can't assume villain has a set or something that strong. TPTK will likely be good, and I generally play it like the nuts, barring an ugly board or other extenuating circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]
my point is, that you pretty much have to play it like the nuts if you hit given that the pot is 375(assuming everyone else folds) on the flop and we have ~1300 left...if he wants to get it all in we`re definitely with him if the boards not really scary. but if we get it ai, are we really ahead often enough to make up for the $150 we lose almost every time we dont hit?
I dont think this is an auto-call pf...ill do some math but i dont have time right now
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 PM

is it silly to make a reraise that isn't a shove here preflop? every response so far seems to advocate either folding (which I think would be a poor play) or shoving, but being this deep it seems to me that there's a chance you could make a reraise (probably with the intent of calling a shove) that might win the pot anyway or at worst get the pot heads up.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it silly to make a reraise that isn't a shove here preflop? every response so far seems to advocate either folding (which I think would be a poor play) or shoving, but being this deep it seems to me that there's a chance you could make a reraise (probably with the intent of calling a shove) that might win the pot anyway or at worst get the pot heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

A reraise just creates a large pot to you will have to shove into on the flop to bet at, so regardless of hitting or not you would have to get all in. Better to just shove PF than to try and raise here.