Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Heading to Tunica...

Heading to Tunica for about a week. Any specifics on soft games/ trnys? I searched the forum (back 3 months) and gathered that the Horseshoe has the best poker room but no specifics on games. My plan is 2-5 NL and possibly 10-20 limit. All my comps are at The Grand and my Pai-Gow and Three Card Poker play should take care of the trip. But it sounds like I at least need to try the Horseshoe for poker. Any 2+2ers there this week?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Heading to Tunica...

You'll find good games at the Shoe, Gold Strike, and the Grand. They all have either 1-2 or 2-5 NL games.

I hate to guess on who has what tournament since they seem to change quite often (as far as entry and structure). But the Horseshoe has (or had) a Monday and Thursday tournament where it's a 65$ entry with unlimited 40$ rebuys for the first hour(even double rebuy if you go bust) and an add on or double add on at the break. First place was always 5K and up when I played in em.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:23 PM

Gold Strike and Grand run a lot of tourneys it seems.

Grand's usually at 12:00p or so (different by day) but maybe some others in there too.

Gold Strike has some tourney running at 6:00 or 7:00pm on weeknights usually.
and other quick tourneys during the day at 11:00a or 3:00p last time I was there but those might have changed.

You can pretty much just show up at either place and find out what tourneys are running today or tomorrow.

Otherwise, finding accurate info on their constantly changing tourney schedule is kind of tricky sometimes.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM

There is somewhat of a tournament schedule in this magazine: www.msgaming.net. I like Sams Town for cash play, they also run a decent saturday tournament. Awesome dealers here.

I'm starting to hate Grand. Last time in there, the dealers REALLY sucked. I'm pretty tolerant too. If it wasn't for the surprisingly good $4/8 games there I'd never go in.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 PM

A warning about Sams Town: the poker room is not smoke-free. They also shut down the Corky's BBQ buffet, which was the best place to eat at in Tunica.

The NL games at the Hollywood are a good starting point to get your feet wet before moving to the bigger games at GoldStrike/Horseshoe.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:10 PM

I played in the Thursday rebuy at the horseshoe about a month ago. Real soft and the structure is better than most.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A warning about Sams Town: the poker room is not smoke-free.

[/ QUOTE ] Sam's Town has been smoke free for about 2 months now.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:26 PM

Did not know. Can you use your power to open Corky's back-up?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 AM

They now serve the Corky's food inside the regular buffet.

But for some reason, it's not as good as when it was upstairs. Go figure.

Last time I was there, the service was so bad (and when I say "service" in a buffet, I mean, "just keep my glass from sitting empty for too long"), I finally went back into the service area, and refilled my own glass. They started yelling at me. I assured them it would all be over soon, and they stopped yelling as soon as I went back out to the dining area.

(BTW, I just grilled some boneless ribs with plenty of Corky's sauce tonight. Mix in some of Kroger's awesome potato salad, and Budweiser, and the Red Sox tossing a combined one-hitter, and a good time was had by me.)

Also, whoever posted that link above, added a "." at the end that shouldn't be there. Just try www.msgaming.net

In the current issue (as of the day I post this), the tourney schedule is on page 16. It's tough to read. If you click on any article on that site, they'll link you to a readable online version. But for some reason, the link you want is not working this time around.

I'm going to try to start playing B&M tourneys. I haven't been, because the juice just seems larcenous to me. But most places are adding money now, which softens that some--and the play that I've witnessed while dealing can only be described as "clueless".

I'm 90% sure I'll be at the Horseshoe bounty tourney Wednesday evening. $90+15 (+25 for the bounty pool) looks like the most reasonable deal out there. Look for the fat guy with the Red Sox cap.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:09 PM

Gold Strike runs a $100 tourney on Friday and Saturday that is Charmin soft. I busted in the first one I played when a guy called 25 BB allin with KQ against my AcKc and flopped 9cTcJ, and no club or queen came. The second one I won, in the easiest headsup battle I've ever played.

The 4/8 on Saturday night at the Horseshoe was the softest limit game I've ever played. Variance kicked me in the face hard, but what a game. I only lost $40 despite two separate 2 outers for $250 pots and various and sundry other hilarious pokerish thinkgs.