Default Re: Assani vs the StatHeads: Evaluating NFL QBs

[ QUOTE ]
Aliens is a better movie than Die Hard imo

[/ QUOTE ]That's really obvious.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In 2000, the Pats hired Bill Bellicheck who had 1 winning season out of 5 in his previous job with the Browns. They went 5-11 that year. Next year they started 0-2. In the third game, they switched to Brady. The went on the win the SB and start a dynasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your problem Assani. You go through the "you have to count the o-line, and receivers and all the other stuff blah blah blah", which is right and then you totally ignore that stuff and just throw out random stats that appear to support your cause. Go back and look at the team BB took to the playoffs for Cleveland, and look at the team he took over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - BB actually did a really [censored] good job at Cleveland given what he had to work with.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=230105023
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 AM

I got to this point and had to stop:

[ QUOTE ]

Peyton Manning: Pretty much a dream situation for a QB. The system allows for heavy use of audibles by the QB and pretty much lets him call whichever play that he wants to. Arguably the 2nd best WR of all time. A great #2 target in Reggie Wayne. Edge was a top 5 pick IIRC and one of the top RBs in the league for year; Addai was a first rounder and has shown a lot of talent so far. Solid TE(probably top 10 in league).

[/ QUOTE ]

Manning is in a "dream situation" because he is the BEST qb ever. you think if tavaris jackson was the colts QB they would have the same system where the QB basically runs the offense?

2nd best reciever of all time? cmon.

assani I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you but your arguements against manning here are pretty ridiculous.

on to the rest of the post...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:19 AM

Ok I agree with the rest of your post. Put manning above brady and you are spot on. Vick and Young are def. way underrated.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:17 AM

AF or anyone else, care to do a similar analysis of Jason Campbell? His numbers are unimpressive to be sure, but does that mean he's not a good quarterback? I may be biased...
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AF or anyone else, care to do a similar analysis of Jason Campbell? His numbers are unimpressive to be sure, but does that mean he's not a good quarterback? I may be biased...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's too early in his career to definitively say anything about Campbell (and VY, to name another). From what I've seen of him, he seems to be progressing along nicely and I think he may very well turn into a very good QB.

The one time I really got a good, long look at Campbell was against GB, and I was impressed.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Serious post time:

1. Adding weapons around Brady increases Brady's greatness, well yea, we knew this--what we saw before this year was an accurate passer w/ touch and the ability to hit receivers in stride, put balls where only the receiver or nobody catches the ball--we saw a great passer. We also saw a QB that made great decisions.

This has nothing to do with stats, this has to do with watching an NFL game and seeing VY and Vick throw poor ball after poor ball and realize that they just aren't Tom Brady or Peyton or Palmer or many others. Putting a pro-bowl receiving cast around them would surely make their numbers go up some I would assume but the ball still has to get to the target. You can argue all you want but these two guys throw the ball terribly.

2. I hate it when wins are used as an example, "well the team won this many games when he was at QB and lost this many when he was out." Of course they did, the entire system is built around their skill set (which Vick and VY do have)--which isn't throwing the football (which contrary to what you think isn't b/c of crappy receivers but b/c they can't throw the ball), so when they are hurt or whatever and a new guy steps in it is now a guy stepping into a system that was built in a way completely opposite of him. Kerry Collins for example is a completely different QB than VY, when he comes in the chemistry and gel of the scheme will obviously take some time to mold around Collins, he is a different QB...he isn't just going to step in and win games. It is different for pro style schemes with two pro style QB's on the team but these situations are waaaay different and using wins to quantify value for QB1 is just trying to find a way to find value and not actually finding value b/c they aren't one and the same.

4-1 and counting.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Vince Young is terrible. I wouldn't trade the Vikings' QBs for the Titans'.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Assani,
You do realize the titans offense has not been good? I agree his running abiity makes it easier for his RB's, and his offense is full of scrubs... but they've been really bad, and it doesn't seem like vince can throw a pass greater than 10 yards to the middle of the field