Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: What are the top pros worth?

i think that most pros think in terms of bankroll=net worth. i know that i lump it all together. there are a few very disciplined types that seperate the two, but that isn't the usual story. also, i think that most gamblers lump unpaid debts into the 'asset' category when determining their net worth, when in fact many of these debts should be listed at a big discount. lending money is just such a bad idea. --ba
Old 10-31-2007, 09:26 PM

Lot of blah blah about this 500k buy-in game but it isn`t much different then the last few episodes of the last season.

The blinds are the same (with mandatory straddle but players were straddling most of the time every season so far anyway)

There was over 4mill at the table last season.
Brad - 1 mill, PA 500k , Ivey and David 300k each etc etc.

The only thing out of ordinary in next week game is the rich fish and I`m sure all of the Pros will be gunning for him and stay out of marginal situations against each other.

I think it`s silly to bring such a great source of income like Guy and humiliate him on TV when he is losing millions to them online and live already.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 PM

Phil Ivey: 200 cool 1 million's
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lot of blah blah about this 500k buy-in game but it isn`t much different then the last few episodes of the last season.

The blinds are the same (with mandatory straddle but players were straddling most of the time every season so far anyway)

The only thing out of ordinary in next week game is the rich fish and I`m sure all of the Pros will be gunning for him and stay out of marginal situations against each other.

I think it`s silly to bring such a great source of income like Guy and humiliate him on TV when he is losing millions to them online and live already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy should have bought in for like 50million or something absurd
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh how right! Guy has been a big loser so far and humiliated greatly! you headfuck! why cant he play, he has the money to and wants to and wont affect him so he should be allowed to play. its like when you deposit 10$ online, you know you wont win cause you suck, but it is just fun for you
Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that most pros think in terms of bankroll=net worth. i know that i lump it all together. there are a few very disciplined types that seperate the two, but that isn't the usual story. also, i think that most gamblers lump unpaid debts into the 'asset' category when determining their net worth, when in fact many of these debts should be listed at a big discount. lending money is just such a bad idea. --ba

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the book Micheal Craig wrote about the series of games the pros played against Andy Beal, most of the top pros take money from their bankrolls and move it into investments and no longer consider it poker money. It is a bad day for any of these players when they have to convert any of this money back to their bankrolls.

Since I have no idea how any of these folks do on their investments, and how disciplined they are at investing their winnings and how much they may make on endorsements or ventures such as Supersytems one and two (in the case of Dolye), I have no idea how many truly rich players there may be.

Having said that, if it were just based on poker winnings, I doubt there would be any 10 million dollar men in poker, and even with these outside sources of income would be surprised if there are more than a handfull of 10 million dollar men. And I'm skeptical there are any 20 million dollar men. (With just maybe the possible exception of Doyle, whose had the longevity that he may have had real estate investments or stock investments appreciating for decades, and may, for all I know, have made multiple millions off of his books).

Remember, within the past couple of years, a consortium of players did not find it a breeze to put together the bankroll to play Andy Beal. If all of these players were worth 10 million plus, it should've been easy for them to find the liquidity to pool together the right bankroll.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you so sure your guess is better than his?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not, i'm mainly wondering if I misunderstood what he meant.

[ QUOTE ]
go

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm lazy, but I was thinking top 20 MTT online players, top 20 online cash players, top 20 live players to start with.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM

I would define money that you could move online within a short time to be bankroll. So your Vanguard or bank account money would be part of your bankroll. Money that you've payed into your house, car or a long term investment isn't.

For live single table play you don't need 100x the buyin to be comfortable. If you're playing 200/400 PL Omaha online consistently where you could lose 500,000 in a day pretty easily, you should probably be worth atleast 4 million to feel comfortable in the game.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would define money that you could move online within a short time to be bankroll. So your Vanguard or bank account money would be part of your bankroll. Money that you've payed into your house, car or a long term investment isn't.

For live single table play you don't need 100x the buyin to be comfortable. If you're playing 200/400 PL Omaha online consistently where you could lose 500,000 in a day pretty easily, you should probably be worth atleast 4 million to feel comfortable in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only people that play 200/400 regularly that sit in the FT Pot Limit Omaha and have 'at least 4 million' would be DB and PA... maybe Gus.. and I wouldn't doubt they have even that much
Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM

This is from Hendon mob poker database...I suspect that these guys are worth at least 5x as much because of cash games.

Antonio Esfandiari <- 2,790,274
Sam Farha <- 2,085,965
David Benyamine <- 1,144,122 online last year he made at least another 1,000,000
Patrik Antonius <- 2,683,442
Guy Laliberté <- billionaire
Jamie Gold <- 12,170,024 because of taxes and settlements 7 million
Doyle Brunson <- 5,277,782 thats just from tourneys 20 million + with cash games, investments and books.
Barry Greenstein <- 5,374,998 at least 20 million + also