Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Keylogger

Is keylogger software and effective tool for monitoring my kids activities. If so, any recommendations of what to get?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Keylogger

Probably better off just talking to them and looking at their surfing history. If it is cleaned out ask them why. If they continue to clean it out move the computer into the living room or family room.

Keyloggers are more intended to steal passwords.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 PM

How knowledgable are your kids about computers? I mean, when I was 14 I'd know if my parents were trying to pull this kind of crap on me and I would probably flip out on them and never trust them... just a thought.

But yes it can be, because it records what they type so you can read it in a text file. You don't really need software for it, there are devices sold for like 20 bucks that plug in between your keyboard/comp (really small), then you take them and plug them in your USB and read the text file, pretty much undetectable.

Theres also software out there that will basically log everything they see and do.

Just remember you're walking a thin line =) gl
Old 11-17-2007, 02:58 PM

When I was a kid my parents installed a program called "cybersitter" which monitored my activities online and only let me on select sites at chosen hours selected by my parents... so I wrote a guide on how to completely eradicate cybersitter from one's computer without having access to it...

I would recommend what kerowo said because if they are somewhat computer literate they will probably figure out what you are up to especially if you ever call them out on something that they do/type. There are a lot of "parental monitoring" software packages out there like cybersitter which would be alot better than installing a random keylogger.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid my parents installed a program called "cybersitter" which monitored my activities online and only let me on select sites at chosen hours selected by my parents... so I wrote a guide on how to completely eradicate cybersitter from one's computer without having access to it...

I would recommend what kerowo said because if they are somewhat computer literate they will probably figure out what you are up to especially if you ever call them out on something that they do/type. There are a lot of "parental monitoring" software packages out there like cybersitter which would be alot better than installing a random keylogger.

[/ QUOTE ]
erbbysam for mod
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM

if you dont explicitly tell them all keystrokes are logged, thats as unethical as reading their diary.

if theres something they want to learn or see, they'll eventually find a way to circumvent.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you dont explicitly tell them all keystrokes are logged, thats as unethical as reading their diary.

if theres something they want to learn or see, they'll eventually find a way to circumvent.

[/ QUOTE ]