Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

[ QUOTE ]
but the university did enough, in this case, to probably avoid punishment

[/ QUOTE ]

this is outright wrong

they were supposed to monitor closely....they didn't

they hardly punished themselves-they dropped the schollie for the guy caught with crack cocaine possession and they didn't give Sampson a raise

oh yeah, they dropped an assistant who had served his purpose and brought in a guy they wanted more anyway
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well we can, you won't be able to because, being raised (I'm assuming) an Illinois fan, you've been taught that the only truth in this world is that everyone is out to get Illinois sports. Every time anything comes up, it's some huge conspiracy to get Illinois. God I wish for one second I could be that self-important. I mean, I don't think I'd get alot done, but hell, I don't think I'd care much.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...it's not like Bobby Knight outright falsely accused Illinois of an illegal recruitment that led to a NCAA investigation

oh...that's right...he did!

he got so pissed at Lowell Hamilton choosing Illinois that he loudly instigated a NCAA investigation where Bobby's claims were shown to be, surprise, false

Bobby couldn't accept that and started a 'whisper' campaign telling anyone who would listen that Illinois was cheating

next, Iowa's recruiting assistant under the approval of his AD and head coach illegally tape conversations with an Illinois recruit and splice the tapes to implicate Illinois

Then, Bobby's cockholder Digger Phelps comes forward with accusations from his star LaPhonso Ellis

a long NCAA investigation takes place where they find all the accusations to be false, yet Illinois gets put on probation anyway

Illinois loses Juwan Howard and Jamie Brandon. Instead of rolling the 89 title into the domination of the Big11Ten we've seen in the 00s, Illinois has to suffer through a few years of mediocrity.

hmmmmm.....these are all documented facts

not much conspiracy there

however, continue to fight the PR battle that it's Illinois out to get IU when the past has been all about IU getting Illinois when Illinois didn't do anything.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they were supposed to monitor closely....they didn't

[/ QUOTE ]

They monitored closely enough that they caught it and turned the issue into the NCAA.

[ QUOTE ]
they dropped the schollie for the guy caught with crack cocaine possession

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about good timing. Run better IU

[ QUOTE ]
they didn't give Sampson a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd prefer they did?? The NCAA is assuredly going to fine him. He'll get his punishment.

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, they dropped an assistant who had served his purpose and brought in a guy they wanted more anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Been a while since I studied NCAA by-laws. Is this illegal? (actually a serious question) Sounds like a nasty move but not an illegal one.

Cody
Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 PM

I clearly made the point that there has been *NO PUNISHMENT* whatsoever thus far
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well we can, you won't be able to because, being raised (I'm assuming) an Illinois fan, you've been taught that the only truth in this world is that everyone is out to get Illinois sports. Every time anything comes up, it's some huge conspiracy to get Illinois. God I wish for one second I could be that self-important. I mean, I don't think I'd get alot done, but hell, I don't think I'd care much.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...it's not like Bobby Knight outright falsely accused Illinois of an illegal recruitment that led to a NCAA investigation

oh...that's right...he did!

he got so pissed at Lowell Hamilton choosing Illinois that he loudly instigated a NCAA investigation where Bobby's claims were shown to be, surprise, false

Bobby couldn't accept that and started a 'whisper' campaign telling anyone who would listen that Illinois was cheating

next, Iowa's recruiting assistant under the approval of his AD and head coach illegally tape conversations with an Illinois recruit and splice the tapes to implicate Illinois

Then, Bobby's cockholder Digger Phelps comes forward with accusations from his star LaPhonso Ellis

a long NCAA investigation takes place where they find all the accusations to be false, yet Illinois gets put on probation anyway

Illinois loses Juwan Howard and Jamie Brandon. Instead of rolling the 89 title into the domination of the Big11Ten we've seen in the 00s, Illinois has to suffer through a few years of mediocrity.

hmmmmm.....these are all documented facts

not much conspiracy there

however, continue to fight the PR battle that it's Illinois out to get IU when the past has been all about IU getting Illinois when Illinois didn't do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

THat was far to fast not to be saved to notepad and just waiting for a copy+paste. Man kinda seems like Ill. was just sitting there minding its own business when IU came in and starting trashing the place. That sucks.

Just curious, do you have a link to this one:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to read something about that.

Cody
Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM

definitely not a copy and paste....just living through an absolute unjust dismantling of a final four team was really hard to take and something I've never gotten over
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

hrm...secondary source... much tougher to get primary sources from the days before the interwebs
Old 11-10-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

hrm...secondary source... much tougher to get primary sources from the days before the interwebs

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you find a more biased source if you tried?

[ QUOTE ]
And what about individual coaches around the country? Are some of them off-limits to NCAA wrath? One of the people quoted to promote Walter Byers' 1995 book Unsportsmanlike Conduct was highly successful basketball coach at Army, Indiana and now Texas Tech Bobby Knight. He is quoted:

"Walter Byers has done more to shape intercollegiate athletics than any single person in history. He brought a combination of leadership, insight and integrity to intercollegiate athletics that we will never again see equalled."

Bobby Knight has always controlled his teams and his overall programs with an iron fist, much like Byers with the NCAA. In many ways, they are birds of a feather, so it is easy to see how they might have mutual respect. It is also highly likely they are close personal friends, as Byers would be loath to ask anyone other than trusted friends to give testimonials for his book.

Perhaps this might explain how Bobby "The General" Knight has always seemed immune to punishment during his frequent blowups. Perhaps he had support about which the public was unaware. And since Knight has Scorpionic tendencies to back-stab those he feels have wronged him, it is logical to assume he might contact Byers to inform on schools who have interferred with his plans. Knight won national championships and brought money and prestige to the NCAA. Could he be a made man?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, this is a hatchet job.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 PM

not a hatchet job at all

it's the way things are/were