Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

So, what is the correct punishment here and do you think there is more to be uncovered?

Sampson, after getting in trouble with the NCAA for over 300 improper recruiting phone calls at Oklahoma violates his probation at Indiana with over 35 phone calls, including 10 impermissable 3-way calls.

Basic Facts

Doyel is being is indignant self

DeCourcey calls out the NCAA

Franschilla plays the stooge

Some really extreme viewpoints I've seen all over. One Op-ed in the IndyStar calling for Sampson to be fired by Kravitz, Indiana supporter who has never liked Sampson. Some that say it isn't a big deal at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

I'm pretty sure in the world of college basketball recruiting, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

*I'm a Hoosier homer*

I'm annoyed that Sampson keeps getting into trouble, he needs to get a better grasp of the rules obviously.

What the hell is the NCAA thinking with these regulations? Sampson claims that the 3 way calls are just calls being transferred to him, basically that Recruits call an assistant or the office and want to talk to him so they get transferred to him. I'm all for playing by the rules but I can't for the life of me figure out why the NCAA cares about 3 way calls.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure in the world of college basketball recruiting, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh...it most definitely is

I mean, one of the main reasons for the hiring of Sampson was his close ties to those close to Eric Gordon. Then Sampson found jobs at IU for many close to Gordon. That stuff is far uglier, but tougher to prove.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for playing by the rules but I can't for the life of me figure out why the NCAA cares about 3 way calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's because Sampson wasn't allowed to initiate calls to recruits and it appears he was getting around that by having the assistant initiate the call and then guiding the recruit to request Sampson be brought in on a 3-way
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*I'm a Hoosier homer*

I'm annoyed that Sampson keeps getting into trouble, he needs to get a better grasp of the rules obviously.

What the hell is the NCAA thinking with these regulations? Sampson claims that the 3 way calls are just calls being transferred to him, basically that Recruits call an assistant or the office and want to talk to him so they get transferred to him. I'm all for playing by the rules but I can't for the life of me figure out why the NCAA cares about 3 way calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can't have boosters + coach or players + coach or any kind of silly combination on the phone with the recruit. Also, because you have to track when coaches can't be speaking to the players.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM

I also agree that phone calls are not a big deal

the only thing that might make this a big deal is it is the exact same type of infraction that Sampson committed previously. He is clearly violating the spirit of his probation.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh...it most definitely is

I mean, one of the main reasons for the hiring of Sampson was his close ties to those close to Eric Gordon. Then Sampson found jobs at IU for many close to Gordon. That stuff is far uglier, but tougher to prove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that is, but compliance departments generally do their jobs & coaches are aware not to break these small rules, especially if you have already self-reported yourself. It is the deeper, uglier stuff that is tough to prove and that coaches can often get away with. It's really silly for Sampson to be breaking the easiest things to be caught doing.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also agree that phone calls are not a big deal

the only thing that might make this a big deal is it is the exact same type of infraction that Sampson committed previously. He is clearly violating the spirit of his probation.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I don't have a problem with phone calls, text messaging, but there's plenty of reason to have dead periods, times where you can't call or certain people can't talk to the players.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

there are rumors that a phone call or two from the latest IU thing were during a dead period--the details of these calls haven't been released, so it's just a rumor at this point

Sampson's OU infractions included calls during dead periods