Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

I work in real-estate management. Ninety percent of the people I deal with are great, but that other ten percent can really eff up your day.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work in real-estate management. Ninety percent of the people I deal with are great, but that other ten percent can really eff up your day.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they mess up your day in the real estate management business? Examples please.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Only a small percentage of people have either the willpower, the psychological health, or the sheer sad desperation and hopelessness to make them want to stay in a position like that for long.

P.S.: Treasure your naturally stupid people. It's rare to find people with minds and temperaments dull enough for this kind of job, but cross your fingers. Someone with no interior life and few brain waves in the first place won't miss being effectively brain dead as much as others do. Getting one of these folks is like hitting the lottery, though, so don't expect it, and don't expect others to be like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Happy to make your aquaintance. I believe I'm one of those people you're describing.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree that data entry jobs are pretty freakin boring. This isn't the standard data entry type. 75% DE and like 25% crafting of language, drafting specialty docs..etc. Disagree about attitude towards the employees though. This is a really really laid back CO., BUT these guys are getting a fair wage, medical, IRA, paid holidays and 3 weeks vacation. I don't think expecting them to stay off their phones/internet and actually work, is asking too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to get at the boredom of those jobs being so transcendent and inhuman that all the logic in the world is sometimes not enough to make people just show up and work steadily. It's not even like they won't, so much as, they can't. It can be a combo of deeply depressing with going stir-crazy. You wind up wanting to bolt out of your chair screaming and run from the room.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Only a small percentage of people have either the willpower, the psychological health, or the sheer sad desperation and hopelessness to make them want to stay in a position like that for long.

P.S.: Treasure your naturally stupid people. It's rare to find people with minds and temperaments dull enough for this kind of job, but cross your fingers. Someone with no interior life and few brain waves in the first place won't miss being effectively brain dead as much as others do. Getting one of these folks is like hitting the lottery, though, so don't expect it, and don't expect others to be like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Happy to make your aquaintance. I believe I'm one of those people you're describing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, well in your case it must be the willpower and strong psychological health rather than the stupidity. And I hope it's not the sheer sad desperation and hopelessness.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mortar Rounds and RPG rounds really give me too much on the job stress.
My boss will not let me Drink, Gamble, look at religiously objectionable material.

My work environment involves poisonous snakes, spiders and scorpions. The mosiqutos transmit terrible diseases and afflictions. Dust mites are biting me all the time and making my skin look like I have chicken pox.

Most of the people around me are seriously underpaid for the job they do making them extremly disgruntled and most of them are armed.

It's always 130 degrees in the summer and I'm forced to wear long sleeved jackets and pants no matter how hot it gets.

The food is always the same and crappy. I'm forced to live at my worksite in a hot tent with people who snore, cough, sneeze and play music all night long.

My boss makes me use Port o Johns that are 150 degrees dirty, smelly, filled with flies and have holes in them so passerbys can look at my pee pee.

My boss provides for my laundry which always takes 3 days to be done and I have to wait in a 130 degree room for 20 minutes just to pick it up.

My boss is extremly indecisive as to whether we are coming or going never tells us what's going on and usually waits till the last minute to tell us anything.

I'm not even allowed to quit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else wanna bitch about their job ??

My job requires Anthrax vaccines which involve 50 million shots. Smallpox vaccination which itches and is annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang in there bro. We're pulling for you. Thanks for serving.

(I'm just trusting that you're not leveling since I'm not familiar with you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh Chip... guess what. I am where you think I am but I'm not actually in the Army. I'm a civil servant tech (NOT AN OVERPAID CONTRACTOR) The soldiers actually have it MUCH WORSE.

The worst part of the job is Army Personell and Contractors (KBR halliburton people) Don't pay Taxes while in Iraq..... Civil Servants do.

So army people think I'm a contractor and always say how much money I make when after taxes I don't make much more than a soldier.

When I get back home they are driving pimped out cars and I drive a crappy Hyundai. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Heh Chip... guess what. I am where you think I am but I'm not actually in the Army. I'm a civil servant tech (NOT AN OVERPAID CONTRACTOR) The soldiers actually have it MUCH WORSE.

The worst part of the job is Army Personell and Contractors (KBR halliburton people) Don't pay Taxes while in Iraq..... Civil Servants do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Govman,

What are you doing over there and why are you not allowed to quit? (also, what are the Halliburton people doing over there now, rebuilding or something?)

edited to say -

I mean I know you say you are a civil servant but what exactly does your job entail and why can't civil servants quit?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 PM

This was sent to me by a friend a while back and I saved it because it so ridiculous.

Its a "Muffin Memo"

[ QUOTE ]
Subject: Friday Muffins

Dear Office Staff:

Please be aware that muffins are designed and made to be eaten by one person. If they were designed to be eaten by multiple persons, they wouldn't make them into muffins. They'd make loaves of bread. Next time someone brings in a loaf of bread for breakfast, feel free to cut it into as many pieces as you like. But leave the muffins alone. I understand that you might like both cranberry muffins and bran muffins. I know they're both yummy. But be a grown up and make a decision. There's no reason that there should be six random leftover muffin pieces in the kitchen and no whole muffins for those of us that want to eat them they way they were intended.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was sent to me by a friend a while back and I saved it because it so ridiculous.

Its a "Muffin Memo"

[ QUOTE ]

Dear Office Staff:

Please be aware that muffins are designed and made to be eaten by one person. If they were designed to be eaten by multiple persons, they wouldn't make them into muffins. They'd make loaves of bread. Next time someone brings in a loaf of bread for breakfast, feel free to cut it into as many pieces as you like. But leave the muffins alone. I understand that you might like both cranberry muffins and bran muffins. I know they're both yummy. But be a grown up and make a decision. There's no reason that there should be six random leftover muffin pieces in the kitchen and no whole muffins for those of us that want to eat them they way they were intended.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Its a "Muffin Memo"

[ QUOTE ]

Dear Office Staff:

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work at a place that always had one or two older ladies vying to somehow squeeze, fondle, slice, arrange, or handle every muffin/bagel/doughnut brought into the office. Some of these ladies would lick their fingers while doing it. Absolutely none of it was necessary in the slightest or really made much sense.

One lady would get the cream cheese for the Friday bagels, take it home, put it in her mixer, add milk, and return it to us as a watery inedible sour goop. Doubtlessly feverishly handled by her finger-licking self, who no doubt kept half the cream cheese for herself. Her excuse -- she was "making it softer" for us. It was already soft cream cheese! Who the hell asked her to "make it softer"? No f*cking one, that's who. It was disgusting.

I'm a big fan of people not thinking they have to stick their personal thumb on every damn piece of food everyone else will be eating.