Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Default iPhone Unlock

Is this going to be easily doable in the near future? Should I buy the new iPod and a new phone (both of which I desperately need), or just wait for the iPhone unlock for Verizon?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: iPhone Unlock

If you need a big iPod get a big iPod, it will work better with existing periperhals than the iPhone does. Then you can play wait and see with the phone.

Suppesedly there are unlocks in the work that are software only but they are a bit on the vapor ware side at the moment. Keep an eye on www.tuaw.com for info.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM

what does software only mean? Will I be able to straight up use this thing with Verizon?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Currently I'm not aware of an easy way to unlock the iPhone. There are reports that there have been phones unlocked but there isn't a solution that is as simple as running an app and putting in a sim card yet.

There might be in the future, but AT&T is trying to stop it. Probably just a matter of time though.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM

It really doesn't matter if the phone is unlocked or not. Verizon does not operate a GSM network, so the phone is not going to work with it.

If you had T-Mobile, then you could use an unlocked IPhone.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what does software only mean? Will I be able to straight up use this thing with Verizon?

[/ QUOTE ]
The iphone is a GSM phone while verizon is a cdma network hence even an unlocked phone will not work.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:47 PM

Does anybody here with any iPhone knowledge think it's worth the pains in the ass of unlocking an iPhone @ this point given the new update this past Thursday, and likely future updates that will invalidate non AT&T SIM cards? I received my phone today with the hopes of unlocking it myself (pretty easy to do) but reading about recent developments makes me wonder if it will be worth the hassle at all...
Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 AM

Nope, it's not worth the hassle or the risk that you'll brick the phone by doing an unlock.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:13 AM

it's not so much the risk of bricking the phone, it's more a question of is it worth having the phone with just the 1.0.2 firmware and waiting to update until the unlock software catches up with the updates

i am leaning towards just returning the damn thing and waiting until it's compatible w/ t-mobile in 08
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 AM

For $400 I wouldn't risk bricking it now or with future updates. If you just hate money and the bricking doesn't bother you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], I say give it a try if you really think you want the phone.

However, IMO it's not worth it. It's not worth the hassle and it's not worth the bricking risk. This is going to be a cat and mouse game for a the next several years. AT&T made a big deal with Apple to be the exclusive network for the iPhone. They will not sit by and let Apple do nothing while people unlock the phone for use on other networks. That doesn't mean it can't or won't be done, but I think Apple will be given no choice but to continue to try to roll out updates that keep "locking" unlocked iPhones.

Just my 2 cents. My buddy has the iPhone and I played with for a good bit this weekend while on a road trip. It's cool, but it's not $400 cool to me. But to each his own.