Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: *Official* Evolution is Stupid Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Debilitating pain. I twist my ankle and now it's too painful to run away from the lion chasing me? Thanks evolution, thanks a bunch. We should just have a system of green and red LED's so you can tell where something is wrong on your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

adrenaline usually is natures answer to that
Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 AM

If you've ever been depressed than you know why evolution made it so you sleep a lot of your life. Some people's lives suck. Think concentration camp or slavery.

i don't think evolution protected our eyes well enough
Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Grunching thread to say that for as much of the human body that works so well, they really [censored] up the eyes part.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM

what about our mouth not having enough space for all the teeth ):
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 AM

the goal of humanity is not to be productive
Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM

At age 10 I had a cyst the size of a golfball grow in a cavity in my neck. The cavity is a evolutionary remnant of gills, required a pretty significant surgery, and has left me with a pretty cool scar on the neck. I believe roughly 1 in 10,000 people develop these cysts, and without surgery they're fatal.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't think evolution protected our eyes well enough

[/ QUOTE ]

"As good as possible"? No, which is the point of this thread, but certainly "well enough" simply by definition.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) The ear: When I first learned about the ear in biology, I was amazed out how many steps there are between sound getting into your ear and it registering with your brain. There are these bones with a bunch of cute names and some hairs swaying in some liquid and stuff. It seems to me that we'd be better off with just a membrane thin enough to vibrate and a nerve hooked up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to look at the way physical structures evolved - what were the precursors, and what was their function? I know nothing about how the ear evolved, but it is quite possible that those bones were there for some other purpose and then got incorporated into the ear. I believe that's the theory of how wings evolved, that the physical structure started out doing something else and then evolved into the first, very rudimentary, wings and voila - flight!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Inability to sleep at will: I've always thought this really sucked. It seems to me that people would be more productive if they could choose when to sleep. You'd still get tired if you didn't do it often enough, and pass out if you chose to stay up for way longer than you should, but you wouldn't have to lie in bed staring at the ceiling before a big day. It'd be more like going to the bathroom and less like breathing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sleeping at will and a complex, powerful brain don't jive. If your body can't take the time to shut down correctly with your brain on full tilt thinking and dreaming mode, you're going to hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

So give me the ability to go through the complex process that eventually leads to sleep.

This sort of ties in with the more general concept that we really don't have control over our consciousness. For example, don't think about your knee right now.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grunching thread to say that for as much of the human body that works so well, they really [censored] up the eyes part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've heard multiple references to this too (usually in the sense of 'wtf people talk about how the eye means we had a creator, but if so he was a [censored]') but I dont know whats so bad about the eye, enlighten me?