[/ QUOTE ]

True.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Racial poll about Barry Bonds

people are more likely to back people who look like they do

not exactly news
Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Hypothetical: if it were Ken Griffey Jr. who were coming up on 755 instead of Barry Bonds, do you think there'd be this kind of divide on him? (Let's assume that Griffey had the exact same unproven allegations that Bonds had.)

It seems that lots of people hate Bonds because he's a jerk, not because he's black.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM

The race card is stupid; Aaron is black also.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical: if it were Ken Griffey Jr. who were coming up on 755 instead of Barry Bonds, do you think there'd be this kind of divide on him? (Let's assume that Griffey had the exact same unproven allegations that Bonds had.)

It seems that lots of people hate Bonds because he's a jerk, not because he's black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about Griffey. Personally, I'd be much more excited about Griffey breaking Hank's record than Bonds. Maybe that's cause I'm a big Griffey fan (even though he plays in the same division as my Stros), but I think more of that lies along the lines that he wasn't even accused for using steroids (as far as I know). Bonds can be a jerk, but can you blame him sometimes? The media hassles him way more than anyone else.

I am a bit excited to see a part of history though.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about Griffey. Personally, I'd be much more excited about Griffey breaking Hank's record than Bonds. Maybe that's cause I'm a big Griffey fan (even though he plays in the same division as my Stros), but I think more of that lies along the lines that he wasn't even accused for using steroids (as far as I know). Bonds can be a jerk, but can you blame him sometimes? The media hassles him way more than anyone else.

I am a bit excited to see a part of history though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for the hypothetical was that in the 90s, well before Bonds was accused of being a user, he was clearly better than Griffey. Yet, just as clearly, Griffey was much more popular than Bonds and regarded by non-sabermatricians as the better baseball player.

So let's imagine that their career paths were switched. Instead of Griffey being saddled with injury problems, he was approaching 755 . . . and the one being accused of steroid use.

Do you think that:

1) the accusations against Griffey would be as constant as the accusations against Bonds?

2) that anyone would be rooting against Griffey breaking 755?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why people hate Barry Bonds will never make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know how else people can spell it out to you, but the man is a horrible, horrible person. he's a great, great baseball player, and that reputation is somewhat asterisked due to drug use (or "possible" drug use) but most hate him because he's despicable.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the black community (if such a thing exists) capable of actually NOT supporting a high profile black individual?

I'd bet Mike Tyson still has a significantly higher favorability rating among blacks than whites.

I think it's sort of a "gotta stick together" mentality.

[/ QUOTE ]

black people in general like OJ simpson more then white people, and the dude is a murderer.

it's OBVIOUSLY a stick together mentality, but... you cant really blame that!!! i would too. (meaning, be more apt to support tyson/oj/etc.) but ppl like oj / bonds / tyson are bad people and shouldnt really be thought of "black" first, they should just be thought of bad humans. race should truly have nothing to do with that. (and no, bonds is nowhere near OJ in the scale of "goodness" or "badness," so i'm not really interested in the semantics of that statement)
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why people hate Barry Bonds will never make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre aware that the people who hate him had at one point enslaved his entire race right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont hate german people just because at one point they committed mass genocide to "my people". (and that point was much much much more recent than slavery)

your point above is pretty dumb, pittm, and im normally a backer of you, largely bc of the GSW connection