Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: I wanna lose 25lbs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's definitely a tough workout, but the intensity automatically adjusts as the beginner does fewer reps in the alloted time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beginners do more reps at a higher intensity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain what you're talking about, Thremp. I was referring to EDT where the primary variable is the number of reps you're able to accomplish in the allotted time. Obviously a beginner will not be able to do as many reps in the same time period as an experienced lifter whose work capacity is much greater. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah in concrete terms of lbs lifted compared to a copy of himself. But he'll be able to work at a much greater intensity. IE he'll complete more reps at a higher % of his 1RM than someone who's been lifting for a long period.

Also many people don't work to increase work capacity unless its a set goal. Almost no one moves to the point of just destroying themselves using compound movements for 2 hours.

Once a beginner sees his CNS adaptations come in, most of his initial advantage will go away.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah in concrete terms of lbs lifted compared to a copy of himself. But he'll be able to work at a much greater intensity. IE he'll complete more reps at a higher % of his 1RM than someone who's been lifting for a long period.

Also many people don't work to increase work capacity unless its a set goal. Almost no one moves to the point of just destroying themselves using compound movements for 2 hours.

Once a beginner sees his CNS adaptations come in, most of his initial advantage will go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to disagree with pretty much all of this, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Increasing work capacity w/in a set timeframe IS the goal of EDT training. You can set your beginning 1RM% anywhere you want it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to disagree with pretty much all of this, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Increasing work capacity w/in a set timeframe IS the goal of EDT training. You can set your beginning 1RM% anywhere you want it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't understanding me. Your 1RM is set. The % of it you choose for the program. As untrained lifter will be able to complete more reps at a higher %, say 80% than someone who has been training for a while. This is because of poor recruitment. His CNS fires only say 60% of the muscle fibers to lift the 80 lbs... Vs. someone who lifts 240lbs but needs to fire 80% of his muscle fibers.

But yeah EDT is a growth program with increased work capacity.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM

I get what you're saying but I don't know if I believe you're applying it correctly within the EDT framework. You might be right. Regardless, I wasn't really applying the word "intensity" in the lift-speak definition.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM

learn to eat healthy - don't "do a diet"...

can this link go in the faq?

John Berardi's 7 Habits of Highly Effective Eating
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493
Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 PM

I tried thinking of how to justify thremps answer and have drawn a blank somewhat too...

I think I understand his point about your body is lifting inefficiently because its new and so when your 1rm is low, just by brute strength you can do more reps of say 60% than a seasoned lifter. Just not sure how I feel about that.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey ,
I dont know anything about fitness really. I want to lose about 25lbs , and im not sure what to even do. This week ive changed my diet a bit by cutting out soda and other sugar drinks which i would consume a TON of. I am also cutting out fast food, and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! You're starting out perfectly!

The next step is to introduce cardio and strength exercise routines into your lifestyle.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 PM

eat healthy and exercise a lot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM

I would recommend eating healthy, doing cardio 2-3 times a week and lifting 1-2 times a week.