Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Default 1-2NL flopped top two pair out of small blind in limped pot

1-2NL @ showboat atlantic city this weekend

hero in the SB has around $450, villain in the BB has around $260, multiple stacks cover.

villain is new to the game and is a guy in his late 40's early 50's extremely quiet, appears to play tight and is generally competent, from what he has seen out of me so far, i appear to be extremely aggressive and drunk, but this is due to catching strong starting hands.

the table texture is pretty passive, with one extremely bad player with deep pockets spewing chips two seats to my left

i am dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB, and 5 players limp, i complete and BB checks.

flop ($14) -

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero bets $15, villain insta-raises to $45, rest of table folds. hero asks how much villain has left as his hands are covering chips, villain refuses to answer, so i have dealer count down the rest, answer is around $215. hero ???
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 1-2NL flopped top two pair out of small blind in limped pot

All in?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 PM

In a standard online game with limited reads, I raise all-in and watch him show down AJ or KJ.

As described, I'd say raise all-in or fold, probably 50/50 and heavily dependant on my mood. Likely hands include AJ, KJ, 66, 99, and JJ (the last two less likely simply by virtue of there being only one possible combination).

Doubt he is trying to strong-arm a good straight/flush draw, but he could easily be protecting a set against a strong straight/flush draw.

Assume the max buyin is $200 and you're up $250. Tough place to blow all your winnings on what I see as a 50/50 proposition.

Edited for Clarification: I think there is a 50% chance he has a set here, with 66 being most likely, 99 and JJ much less likely. I think theres a 50% chance he's got AJ, KJ or a draw. Considering the 50% that you're behind is probably to 66, you still have four outs to win. Probability might then dictate an all-in, but I still think this is a tough call with the possibility of losing all your winnings for the session.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 AM

losing profit for the session should take absolutely no consideration into if it is the correct decision to call/fold/shove here.

if he has AJ or KJ then shoving is wrong, as he will almost certainly fold his single pair to the shove and will get no more value on the hand.

i went into the tank and decided that he had a weaker two pair and shoved in case a scary turn card killed my action, if i misplayed by shoving against AJ or 66, oh well.

he goes into the tank and eventually shows J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , and turn and river blank to ship me $500 pot.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
losing profit for the session should take absolutely no consideration into if it is the correct decision to call/fold/shove here.

if he has AJ or KJ then shoving is wrong, as he will almost certainly fold his single pair to the shove and will get no more value on the hand.

i went into the tank and decided that he had a weaker two pair and shoved in case a scary turn card killed my action, if i misplayed by shoving against AJ or 66, oh well.

he goes into the tank and eventually shows J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , and turn and river blank to ship me $500 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving against AJ/KJ is absolutely correct live, since you're almost always getting called, and there are a ton of draws here which can kill your action/hand. The type of guy you described will also limp AA/KK a decent amount of the time hoping to be tricksy. Flop is a definite shove here and it's not even close IMO.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 AM

lol at 50% chance of having a set. This is live, turbo push this but remember no fistpump....you have to disguise your tells imo.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All in

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Shove or C/rai on the turn... he could easily have AJ or KJ or sometimes even a draw.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is a definite shove here and it's not even close IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 AM

the more i think about it the more i like a CRAI on the turn if he has only one pair here