Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Default SamG\'s Log

Hi, I'm SamG. I'm a scrawny ass weakling who needs to get into shape. This is my log.

I'm posting publicly to 2p2 as motivation. Also I'm considering other forms of motivation, NaNoWriMo style, like pledging to send a check for $X to some political group I detest if I don't stick to the program for at least some period of time.

All comments, criticisms, whatever are welcome.

* VITALS

Height: 6'0"
Weight: ~165
Sex: Male

My scale at home says I'm ~17% body fat. Not sure how accurate that is. I definitely have a bit of a gut and not much muscle.

* BACKGROUND

I'm a complete novice to weight training, and I'm out of shape. As I noted in the other thread, over the last 6 months I've lost 35 pounds dieting. Now I want to build some muscle.

* PLANNED ROUTINE

Rippetoe Starting Strength, with cardio on off days.

* EQUIPMENT

Right now a Bowflex Sport, which I bought on sale before finding the Health and Fitness forum. I know, I know.

Not sure yet whether I want to invest in some free weights or join a gym. I don't have a great place to keep the equipment, other than maybe my one car garage. Plus I wouldn't mind joining a gym with a pool. On the other hand I would much prefer the convenience of a home gym.

Edit: Didn't make this clear in the original post, but I'm doing one or the other. I'm not going to try to use the Bowflex for Rippetoe. Any guidance or what I should do / what I should buy is appreciated.

* DIET/SUPPLEMENTS

Not sure what I need to do here, but I eat terribly now. I know nothing about supplements or if I should even be thinking about using them. Advice?

I'm probably going to play in the WSOP ME, so I plan to start my workouts after I return rather than doing them for a week and stopping. This should give me a couple weeks to find some equipment and figure out exactly what I need to do.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

How are you going to do rippetoe with a bowflex? Good luck though.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to buy some free weights or join a gym.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I might recommend starting your workouts before the ME to be honest. Most newcomers get serious cases of soreness in the few days after their "first" workouts. Combine that with the fact that you might (definitely will? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) bust within the first two days and I think it's best to get started ASAP.

As far as diet, the only supplements you should probably get now are some good whey protein powder and some fish oil capsules. The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

GL.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Sounds like you've got some discipline if you can lose 35 pounds in 6 months without exercise. Sell the bowflex and get a one year gym membership. If you stick with it for a year, then think about setting up a home gym with a power rack, bench, and a barbell set. By then you'll have had enough time to figure out where to put it.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Last Year:

Now:

Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to buy some free weights or join a gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I thought the debate was bw bflex/frees/gym membership.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as diet, the only supplements you should probably get now are some good whey protein powder and some fish oil capsules.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fish oil capsules?

[ QUOTE ]
The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who works in an office share how you do this? What kinds of foods do you keep at your desk? What's your diet like? I don't have access to kitchen, but they do have a fridge and a microwave here.

Right now I only eat two meals a day, lunch and dinner. Not good, huh?

Btw, thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:43 PM

I keep a bag of mixed nuts and some fruit at my desk. In the fridge I put cottage cheese and leftover dinner stuff in tupperware.

fish oil: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore....-fishoils.html

They'll have it at the drug store, it's for omega-3 fatty acids.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The rest is just standard H+F protocol; eat protein with every meal, eat every 2-3 hours, eat unlimited green vegetables, and get in healthy fat sources.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone who works in an office share how you do this? What kinds of foods do you keep at your desk? What's your diet like? I don't have access to kitchen, but they do have a fridge and a microwave here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good question, and I think it deserves its own thread.