Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Which poker city is the best?

[ QUOTE ]
I live near Shreveport....... Its a dirty place with very little game selection.

Been to Tunica a number of times. Good games (not much selection though) and Memphis is a fun place to spend a week or two. Not sure I would like living there though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Tunica local & the games are pretty juicy most of the time but for the most part it's all holdem, all the time. So if you want something besides 3/6 & 4/8 limit or baby no limit...look elsewhere.

The local tourneys usually get a decent turnout from what I hear if you're interested in that.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of truth to some of the criticism levied against the Bay Area, but as someone who has lived many places, there's nowhere else I'd want to be right now. I wish I had been here when I was 25. The poker isn't quite as juicy as it is down south, but the culture of the area as a whole blows away anywhere else.

If you're open to changing your lifestyle, there are even more benefits. For example, consider a group living situation, where you get WAY more for your buck than cheaper cities. Also, biking around the SF and Berkeley/Oakland areas is a dream (well, moreso East Bay, but still). You really don't even need a car. And as far as natural beauty is concerned, there's a metric buttload of it in every direction.

And if you're at all into outdoor activities and watersports (either kind), I can't think of another area that has so much of it plus poker.

Be warned: if you don't like near perfect weather all the time, this area may not be for you. You also probably won't want to retire in the metro area. But for a 25 year old kid looking to get a lot out of life, this seems an easy choice, at least within the continental US.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM

What's wrong with Memphis?

For that matter, New Orleans has a poker room at the foot of Canal street.

I would vote for NOLA -- live in the quarter, hot squint everywhere (at least in the neighborhoods you would frequent; great nightlife, music, food and Southern girls, yumm...

edit: of course, you might have to dodge Ed Miller from time to time...