Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Which poker city is the best?

also id like to add i found some amazing houses/apartments near L.A. for EXTREMLY cheap, check out craigslist they have a ton.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
live in San Francisco. play there during the week. get a Southwest Visa. fly to Burbank and Vegas out of Oakland on Southwest every other weekend. Oakland and Burbank are really easy airports to deal with. (McCarron sucks.)

that way you don't have to live in Vegas or L.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

cause flying to Vegas and LA and staying at hotels is cheap compared to the real estate in San Fran [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM

I say if youre an east coast guy, living in Jersey a half hour west down the AC expressway is a decent place and not at all as scary as living in AC itself.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And here's one reason why it does......
http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...t_city_report/

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, that one counts in the positives column. The diverse makeup of SF tends to keep out the small-minded people, and I like it that way.

I didn't mean to make this thread a fight over San Francisco, and I apologize. Certainly the Bay Area doesn't have the poker action of Los Angeles or Las Vegas, but if nightlife and other fun things to do are major factors in the decision, is should probably be mentioned.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM

Live in Philly... great town, low cost of living ($1000 a month for a baller 1 bedroom but you can find very decent accommodations for less), close to NYC. Atlantic City is a 45 min drive away or an hour or so by bus or train. For full disclosure, I don't know [censored] about any other area.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM

A lot of people would find Vegas to be a slum. I was appaled when I drove around the north part of town. But SoCal has its rough spots too.

Perhaps anywhere there is a lot of gambling depresses the surroundings.
-Vegas
-AC
-SoCal
-Detroit

But there are some places where it doesn't

-East Chicago
-Southeast Connecticut.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people would find Vegas to be a slum. I was appaled when I drove around the north part of town. But SoCal has its rough spots too.

Perhaps anywhere there is a lot of gambling depresses the surroundings.
-Vegas
-AC
-SoCal
-Detroit

But there are some places where it doesn't

-East Chicago
-Southeast Connecticut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get cause and effect reversed. I can personally speak to the East Chicago/Gary, Indiana area being a hell hole well before there was gambling there. It's probably the case that gambling is approved in areas like that because they are desperate for some revenue influx.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, that one counts in the positives column. The diverse makeup of SF tends to keep out the small-minded people, and I like it that way.

I didn't mean to make this thread a fight over San Francisco, and I apologize. Certainly the Bay Area doesn't have the poker action of Los Angeles or Las Vegas, but if nightlife and other fun things to do are major factors in the decision, is should probably be mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine it being gayer than any other major city in the US, but if this is the case, wouldn't it benefit the straight guy, since there's less competition??

Also, I've heard/seen it's a cesspool of hot Asian chicks..
Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't get cause and effect reversed. I can personally speak to the East Chicago/Gary, Indiana area being a hell hole well before there was gambling there. It's probably the case that gambling is approved in areas like that because they are desperate for some revenue influx.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. If you dig up ancient history, Vegas was a poor dump before the mob made it a rich one. It would seem that putting gambling in a depressed area keeps it that way.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine it being gayer than any other major city in the US, but if this is the case, wouldn't it benefit the straight guy, since there's less competition??

Also, I've heard/seen it's a cesspool of hot Asian chicks..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't it always common knowledge that SF is the gayest city? This report confirms it.

I just heard some woman from SF on the radio the other day (Howard Stern show, I think) say that it is a great place for straight men because the women have a such a hard time finding guys that aren't gay.