Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 06:01 PM

Default HUSNG -- Odd stacks for KQ

OK, whats the plan here. Looking back at it, I'm not sure at all what to do. My opponent is very aggressive preflop, which is why I'm repopping with KQ here:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1630)
Hero (t1370)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, Button calls t300.

Flop: (t900) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ? </font>

Few questions...
1. Like the 3-bet with KQ? Would you change the bet size to make postflop play more manageable?
2. What do I do on this flop? I've committed a decent chunk of my stack. It seems like no matter what I bet, it looks strong. I can try to induce a raise by betting small (~250), but I think its not much better than just shoving and hoping he calls with a weaker hand. Anyone like checking? How does it change if the flop is Kxx?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: HUSNG -- Odd stacks for KQ

I like a shove here. I think he will call with a large range thinking that you are pushing on a FD.

I could see betting half the pot here as a good option for hoping to induce a bluff, but I can't really see that, as he would be pretty nuts to essentially min-raise on a bluff. It wouldn't make any sense to bet half the pot as a desperate FD bluff.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM

You are already putting in a third of your stack with a 3-bet so why not just shove preflop? If he calls and you whiff what then? Shutdown and a be left with 1,000 chips? Even if he calls your shove you get to see all five cards to try to catch a king or queen.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM

I like shoving pre as well . You cannot fold if he were to move you all in after you re-raised him , so you might as well put him to the test now .
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 AM

I would have maybe gone for the stop and go since u are oop and this player as u said is quite aggressive. If you do end up flopping ur K or Q you can then check-raise him all in, since he will so often cont bet hard and over commit himself to the pot. You really can't like him calling your re-raise preflop since you've committed so much of your stack. I think your play here is re-raise all in or stop and go unless u hit. But by re reraising to 450 you are kind of in the dark on flop
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM

I would certainly shove this against the "right" villain, whom I feel will call such a shove light.
But at the same time I also do not love a shove here too often. Villain has only commited 150 of his 1630 stack, I would hate only getting paid 150 when holding KQ by having him fold preflop.
If the effective stakcs were lower I would be more inclined (correct wording here?) to shove.

To you guys advising shoving, are you shoving most of the times when reaching 25/50? When you face a 3xBB raise with a hand around the same quality as KQo?
Just curious if you stop 3-betting "normally" and starts to fold/shove here already when facing a race and effective stacks are around 1500.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:18 AM

I'd do 300 then shove turn.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Bet 400. Call a shove. Shove any turn.

I think an argument can be made for shoving the flop if you havent 3-bet a lot of pots. Villain may think you are getting desparate and will shove with A-high; he may call with low pairs, a jack, and will definitely call with KT, K9 etc.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:36 PM

I shove preflop against said villain.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM

27 bb's seems like a lot to shove with. against a very aggressive opponent, whats the maximum stack we'll three-bet shove with here holding a hand like KQ or A9?

is it standard to three-bet here preflop at this effective stack to 3x? it gives them 2:1 but that may not be important with shallower stacks.

if we'd three-bet smaller, it'd be easier to bet around 3/5 pot on the flop and then shove the turn. for example, if we three-bet to only 375. we could then divide our remaining stack of 995 into a flop bet of 425 (into a pot of 750) and push the other 570 on the turn (into a pot of 1600). the only hand that can profitably call these bets that we're ahead of is like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so it doesn't seem too bad. not that we can predict that we'll flop a strong hand, but planning like this increases the chances we'll get called down by a bad pair and our hand does play great postflop, so if we're gonna give villain 2:1 anyhow, this could be an alternative.

if we'd three-bet larger, we could plan to shove almost any (or perhaps any against this villain) flop. it's a double-edged sword because our shove would be more appropriately-sized in relation to the pot-size, which is a good thing when we hit the flop and a bad thing when we miss it. three-betting preflop to 550 would put 1100 in the pot, with our flop shove being 820 which is a little more than 3/4 pot. against some loose villains, we can also get more money in the pot this way preflop and take it postflop much of the time.

martin