Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Ciaffones books

and he has a nl cash game book that has been promised for a few yrs, what a shame
Old 10-09-2007, 02:12 PM

u serious NL&PL is the most overrated book IMO, worst i've ever read (of 5-7 books), he just talks how he played big games... lol

folding middle set, wtf? or was it bottom?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u serious NL&PL is the most overrated book IMO, worst i've ever read (of 5-7 books), he just talks how he played big games... lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the "big games" criticism is accurate, but I do think the book is overrated because it feels thin somehow. It also contains a lot of info on bizarre PL/NL games that I don't think is terribly useful. It's still good, but I don't think it's great.

On the hand in question, Ciaffone laid down bottom set on the flop, and it was because he was putting everyone on hand ranges and couldn't figure out how he had good equity against this one specific player. It's actually pretty instructive analysis even if you think his assessment is overly tight/pessimistic.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bottom set plays a lot better in games capped at 100bb buyin than it does when effective stacks are 500bb. You're almost always thrilled to get it all in with 100bb and bottom set, not true when you're a lot deeper, IMO.

(I can't recall the specific hand you reference, but iirc many of the hand examples are much deeper than 100bb, which of course a lot of today's games are capped at.)
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I can't recall the specific hand you reference, but iirc many of the hand examples are much deeper than 100bb, which of course a lot of today's games are capped at.)

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC it's the one where he has 22 in an unraised pot, he pots it on an 852 (maybe 952 or something similar) board and gets checkraised quite small by someone who'd obviously have raised AA-QQ pre and led other overpairs post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 AM

lol back in the day i payed ciaffone $50 for lessons over the phone, even back then when i was playing 1/2 nlhe or whatever it was his advice wasnt good enough to help. wouldnt recommend him
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 AM

fatgirl, when is the book coming out?!?!?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

SOON ROBERTJOHN, i am working on it full time now until done
Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Both books are great and his new book should be finished by the end of the year and published next year is my current guestimate. He made a comment in one of his latest articles.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both books are great and his new book should be finished by the end of the year and published next year is my current guestimate. He made a comment in one of his latest articles.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an interview I read he indicated the book would consist of his comments/instructions on hands his students submitted to him. There's a few of these types of analysis of his kicking around in cyberspace and some of them are pretty useful.

His books and articles can certainly reward serious study. He advocates a TAG style and all his books and (numerous) articles taken together give a comprehensive system for a TAG player. For me, studying his material almost exclusively makes more sense then jumping from author to author and system to system.