Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 AM

Default ($12) Did I misplay this?

Sometimes I wonder if I could get more value from a hand like this, or if I was correct by playing it on the conservative side. The flop call was me being a little trappy (didn't want to scare a Jack hand out of the pot), knowing I surely had the best hand. When the river card came, I figured if I raise there, only a better hand will generally call me, so I just called like a puss, left to ponder if I made the right move. Thoughts, suggestions?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP (t1440)
CO (t1530)
Button (t1470)
SB (t1560)
Hero (t1500)
UTG (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, MP calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t80) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80, UTG folds, MP calls t80.

Turn: (t320) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (t320) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120, MP calls t120.

Final Pot: t680

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 4s Kc (one pair, aces).
Hero has 8s Ah (three of a kind, aces).
MP has Qh 4h (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: Hero wins t680. </font>
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: ($12) Did I misplay this?

raise flop bet turn raise river
you have to protect your hand &amp; get value
if he has a jack he'll prolly not even fold to a raise..
like: "he didn't raise pf zomfg he can't have the ace"
make action, become a good pokemontrainer.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:08 AM

Ok, but when I re look at the hand this is what I see. If I raise the flop bet to say 160-200...they both fold and I make 160 total (the both had nothing, so there is no way they call a re raise on the flop).

When the 7 came on the turn, I knew SB had nothing after his check, I checked behind thinking MP might have an ace also, or a Jack since he called the flop bet after I called it. If not, then he's on a draw. I don't really want to put a ton of chips in the pot in a limped pot, so I give him a free card or check when I'm behind keeping the pot small if he does have say AT or something.

River card comes, SB bets out 120...so here I think he must of had the jack and is just hoping for a cheap showdown. If it was just him and I in the pot, I definitely re raise. But the Queen comes, giving KT a straight if that is what MP had. So I just call, again not wanting to commit a ton of chips in a limped pot. So I win the 680, instead of the 160 I "would" of made if I had re raised the flop bet.

Thoughts on my thoughts?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:08 AM

If you reraise even the min and get poped back for a big bet would you lay it or not? If you would fold then why not reraise 2 X or 3 X the bet. It being early in the sng he might look you up because he doesnt know how you play yet.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 AM

You have to bet the turn, one of the 2 might be on a flush draw and you cannot give him a free card.
Raising the river doesn't bring anywhere, actually if you raise the river probably MP1 will fold.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM

i don't really mind calling the flop - as you say it chases out worse hands, and won't make any better hand fold. but i think you have to bet the turn. often a jack will call, and it's the only way you get value out of or chase out a flush draw.

i agree with your reasoning re: river. call is best imo, to keep MP along, and it's hard to see many worst hands calling a raise large enough to risk it.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM

bet the turn
Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 AM

Your flop play could get you into trouble, but it doesn't bother me. However, when a blank like that falls on the turn, you absolutely have to bet it. If someone is in there with something like KsXs, you aren't going to win squat on the river if the draw doesn't come in. Make them pay now.

In hindsight, these guys were going to fold to pretty much any bet, but it is still very bad to check that turn. You need to make them put money in the pot while they're still drawing. You might even get a call from a jack there.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM

bet that turn, most people wont back off with an ace here and this bet balances as a value bet and protection bet on 4th street.