Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Taking shots at higher limits

When you LHE guys want to take shots at higher limits, do you like to buy in the same # of BBs as you would at your current level? Say you have been playing live 3/6 and buying in for $150, if you decide to take a shot at 4/8 do you like to buy in for $200 or take a smaller amount and use that?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Taking shots at higher limits

I buy in for 40 BB always. If you have a hard time getting 40 BB together, you probably shouldn't take a shot.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 AM

I always buy in for min. 25 BBs but I always have more $ on me to top off. It's not that I have a hard time getting the buy in together just wondering what amounts some of you like to take shots with. A 40 BB buy in at lHE sounds a bit high to me but everyone has a certain amount they like I guess. Something to be said for having a larger stack in front of you as far as a bit on intimidation goes
Old 03-16-2007, 12:47 PM

I'd buy in with at least 30x the BB no matter what limit I played at and have a few hundred in my pocket if things go card dead or bad. I feel more confident with some chips in front of me and want to be able to cap on all streets if needed.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I buy in for 40 BB always. If you have a hard time getting 40 BB together, you probably shouldn't take a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2007, 01:45 PM

It should be noted that Frond is speaking about a B & M Game, on the internet i can see buying in for 40bb, specifically because you get triple the amount of hands and a lot more aggressive players...

Regarding B & M,
If your playing a correct limit for you, 40 bb should last you a 7 hr session of running crappy, busting 40 bb at a 3/6 table means your running very poor, or the table is very bad, and i would rather see you switch limits than flush $240 into a 3/6 table. How much income potential is really at a 3/6 table and how much do you expect to make? Buying in for $240 and expecting to win 5 bb/hr (very high rate!) means you have to play 8 hours just to meet your buy in.

I buy in for 25bb, and I have a 90% session win ratio. I dont think your doing something right if there is a chance your busting 40 bb into a small stakes table during a 5 or so hr session.

Over my 3 years of B & M Playing, I have never recovered after a 30 bb slide despite rebuying, so i dont think its productive.

GL
Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Over my 3 years of B & M Playing, I have never recovered after a 30 bb slide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I go like once every months and I've recovered from 30 BB slides 2 times last year.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM

2 times still isnt a profitable ratio unless you tried it exactly 2 times. And yea i have done it, 2 times, over a 3 year span, and 5 other times have rebought after a slide. I learned that switching tables or coming back the next day is a far better profitability decsion than sticking it out and rebuying, there is genreally a reason your loosing if your 40 bb deep.

2 times over how many potential times = ratio of profitability on your decsion...
Old 03-16-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 times still isnt a profitable ratio unless you tried it exactly 2 times. And yea i have done it, 2 times, over a 3 year span, and 5 other times have rebought after a slide. I learned that switching tables or coming back the next day is a far better profitability decsion than sticking it out and rebuying, there is genreally a reason your loosing if your 40 bb deep.

2 times over how many potential times = ratio of profitability on your decsion...

[/ QUOTE ]

uh i have no idea what you're talking about. Play until yr playing bad or the game is bad. If I'm playing well I won't get up if I'm stuck 400 BB.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 PM

If your playing well, you wont ever be behind 400bb, that is precisely my point, make a change...

What I am talking about is fairly simple, you said you had continued after a 30bb slide 2 times, and i replied, 2 times out of how many oppurtunities, put it into a ratio.

To say I have had 2 royal flushes sounds great, but considering ive played 400k hands, doesnt it sound not as cool?