Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Pre-Flop

(Please keep in mind that i am new to the game and have limited expericne)
I would call. Since he is playing tight up until now i would imagine if he had a decent hand he would raise.
On the other hand, he may just be trapping and trying to extract the maximum amount of chips from you.

I still stay with call.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM
 is offline

I would limp here because this is the exact type of hands that Sklanskly refers to when he says in TPFAP that you should only raise with hands in NL that won't make you sick if someone re-raises you. This is a hand where I would hate to get reraised, because you are almost certainly beaten and will have to throw it away, when you could have seen a flop for cheap.

The CO's range is so wide here. He could easily be limping with AA or KK and setting a trap. He could also be limping and small or mid PP and a mid suited connector and hoping that the rest of the people will limp behind him.

Therefore, I limp this and give myself a chance to hit a flop and crack a monster starting hand.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would limp here because this is the exact type of hands that Sklanskly refers to when he says in TPFAP that you should only raise with hands in NL that won't make you sick if someone re-raises you. This is a hand where I would hate to get reraised, because you are almost certainly beaten and will have to throw it away, when you could have seen a flop for cheap.

The CO's range is so wide here. He could easily be limping with AA or KK and setting a trap. He could also be limping and small or mid PP and a mid suited connector and hoping that the rest of the people will limp behind him.

Therefore, I limp this and give myself a chance to hit a flop and crack a monster starting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but sometimes you have to determine the liklihood that you will be reraised, and if you determine that it's small then raising is still a strong option. I think the liklihood of being reraised here is relatively small. I also dont think its likely that the cutoff player is slowplaying, I don't like being scared of ghosts. When someone calls preflop in this situation, the large majority of the time they have a calling hand, not a raising one.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:07 PM

I'd raise to about $600 but be prepared to release the hand if i get any heat preflop with it.

I like my position, i want the blinds to pay to play and i want to find out about the CO limp, is he weak or trapping.

If he's weak could be suited connectors or small pair, legit limp with medium pr or suited ax or trapping with QQ up.

Yours Koy
Old 09-20-2005, 11:37 PM

Raise to about 500 for the following reasons:

- So far, only 1 limper has entered the pot. I rate to have the best hand at the table.

- I'll have the best possible position after the flop, being on the button

- Discourage the blinds from playing; isolating on the CO (if he decides to call my raise). However, I'm not too concerned if one of the blinds and/or the CO decides to play. Overall, I'm happy to take the pot w/out a flop.

Being a tight player, I put the CO on a hand that's worthy of a call from his position (from a tight player's perspective):

- Small Pair (66-22)
- Suited Connectors (JT-76)
- Ace-x Suited
- Other suited cards (KT, QT, J9, etc)

I think it's unlikely he's playing a monster or big cards because he'd probably raise (at least a small amount).
Old 09-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

[ QUOTE ]
Note: I'll be posting our expert decisions on what to do pre-flop later tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]
???
Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 PM

ill give this a shot.

I would put the CO on a mid-pp here, and if he has been playing tight I think I could put him off the hand with a raise to 600.

If he calls we go to the flop and I feel, within reason, that my kicker is good if I hit an A. Unless, one or both of the blinds calls in which case I would be looking to play position and hope to flop a couple of clubs.

If CO reraises I would muck.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:53 PM

this is rediculous. u raise with AJ suited on the button with one limper. i dont care how tight hes been, look at his stack--its big. if he reraises so be it. hope for a call with ur strong hand in position--dont give the blinds a free look, and move on.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
this is rediculous. u raise with AJ suited on the button with one limper. i dont care how tight hes been, look at his stack--its big. if he reraises so be it. hope for a call with ur strong hand in position--dont give the blinds a free look, and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't think ANY case can be made for limping here? I think some strong reasons have been presented.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Note: I'll be posting our expert decisions on what to do pre-flop later tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]
???

[/ QUOTE ]
Decision was made to make a separate post at the end as the response was so great in each of the threads that it would diminish our panel's thoughts to include them all together.