Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Default JJ against a donk bet

Here's a stupid one, but I need help.

No reads on villain.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls...

Does an unknown villain ever have anything besides a K here? What is your plan from here?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: JJ against a donk bet

Heads up against an unknown I'm going to do 1 of 3 things.
1. There is a flush draw out there so I'm tempted to 3-bet, check behind on the turn and hope the 3rd club doesn't hit the river.
2. He's unknown and may be getting jiggy with something weird so I'll call him down.
3. Fold

Of the 3, #2 is probably what I do the most, followed by #1 then #3.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 PM

Unknown at this level can mean bottom pair, flush draw, straight draw, etc. I'd raise the flop, and re-evaluate from there. I don't like slowing down with a big PP so early.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM

I'd autoraise here and I won't be at all surprised to see villain fold.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:01 AM

*grunch*

They don't always have the K, but how much do you want to pay to find out.

I would peel on the flop. You have a backdoor 1 card flush and a backdoor straight. Plus you still might have the best hand. And you might catch a set.

Peel and fold the turn UI.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so I'm tempted to 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might have mis-read the flop action (or maybe I did--it's late), but I don't think 3-betting is an option.

You can raise and lead the turn. If he 3-bets the flop, call and fold any non-club, non-queen, or non-jack card. I think a lot of times you will see a ten, a flush draw or an OESD here. I would raise here because a busted FD or OESD is never paying me on the river and if the turn misses he is not going to bet so I have no chance to raise. If my flop raise slows him down, I can check behind anything scary on the river.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:34 AM

The range of hands that villain can have is of course wide. I do think however, that its more likely for EP players to limp with hand that contains a T rather than a K.

If I were villain Id probably go for a c/r on the flop if I was holding a strong hand like 44 or KQo, or possibly wait for the turn to raise. Hence, Id not give credit to villain for holding that king just yet. So Id raise the flop

I think that if villain calls on the flop and then c/r on the turn Id fold.
If he 3-bets id call down
Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Call is awful as you gain no information on your hand.

Raise flop bet and represent the K AND strength, then reeval.

If turn brings a Q,A, or Club then i will be inclined to fold to a bet from Vilian on Turn, anything else and im showing this down as this could be a lead out T or a FD here.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Call is awful as you gain no information on your hand.

Raise flop bet and represent the K AND strength, then reeval.

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded
Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 AM

Calling isn't awful if you're planning on just calling down. If villain is taking a shot at you with air, then calling is superior to raising because it allows villain to keep bluffing his chips off to you.

An alternative line is to raise the flop, bet the turn, and check down on the river. This line will give you the opportunity to get away from your hand if villain has something very strong that he can 3-bet with or check-raise with. It makes life a little more difficult if you get donked somewhere on an expensive street. If villain is on a pure steal, this line also wins you the minimum on the hand, because villain will either insta-fold or he'll c/f the turn.

Another line is to call the flop and raise the turn with the intention of taking a free showdown on the river. This line more accurately mimics AK, KK and AA than the "raise the flop" line. It has the advantage of charging villain the maximum if he's pushing a flush draw, and if villain is weak he might fold something like K9, though this is pretty unlikely. I've never had much success with this line against unknowns. It's probably best to save this one for villains who are capable of folding top pair to turn raise (rare at this level) and villains who would always c/r this flop with top pair but might semibluff-donk a flush draw.

My normal play against an unknown opponent would be to do the "raise, bet, check" line. If villain was a known LAG, was known to be tricky, or was known to bluff a lot, I would just call all the way.