Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Default AA utg 5 handed; any advice/comments??

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here and I need some advice/comments/analysis.

Situation: $1 45 pl sng on PS, down to 11 players, I'm on the 5 handed table under-the-gun with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]; blinds 100/200 with 20 ante.
Chip counts starting with mine: 5410, 8900, 5900(button), 6575(sb), 7650(bb).

I raise to 800, sb and bb call.
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB moves all in, BB calls, and I call.
SB shows K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BB shows J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB wins with trip Jacks and I'm eliminated in 11th place.

Did I do anything wrong? My preflop raise of 4xbb? My call of two all-ins after flop?

What about their calls pre-flop?

I tend to steam after beats like this. On a side question, what can I do to not get so upset after beats like this? Any philosophies, or books about that?

Thanks,
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: AA utg 5 handed; any advice/comments??

Without reads or an idea of your table image I'd say Preflop is pretty standard. Post flop looks like somebody's chasing a flush and somebody hit top pair so the call is standard. You got your chips in with the best cards...that's all you can do. Make notes on their donkish preflop play and move on.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 PM

Preflop and postflop is fine. You could fold on the flop ONLY if you have a super strong read on one of the players. Against unknowns, I would happily stick my chips in. You are going for 1st place... gotta take some risk.

I have been suffering some bad beats recently too... very frustrating. I help myself get through them by just assuming I am going to get drawn out on. Then it isn't a painful surprise when a 3 outer kills me.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 PM

You played it fine imo. Crappy play and bad beat are a part of poker. I usually end up berating the [censored] out of the fish if they knock me out, but won't say much if my stack is still healthy so they keep up their horrible play and hopefully I'll get my chips back.