Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Senators For and Against Online Poker (first cut)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Senate Summary:

<font color="white">.....................</font> Dem<font color="white">.....</font>Rep

with us<font color="white">..............</font>4<font color="white">..........</font>3
neutral<font color="white">.............</font>40<font color="white">........</font>33
against us<font color="white">..........</font>7<font color="white">........</font>13

[/ QUOTE ]

Even without much data, it's funny how the partisan divide is still strongly evident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? It looks to me like the vast majority of Senators in both parties are currently neutral on the issue.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Senate Summary:

<font color="white">.....................</font> Dem<font color="white">.....</font>Rep

with us<font color="white">..............</font>4<font color="white">..........</font>3
neutral<font color="white">.............</font>40<font color="white">........</font>33
against us<font color="white">..........</font>7<font color="white">........</font>13

[/ QUOTE ]

Even without much data, it's funny how the partisan divide is still strongly evident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? It looks to me like the vast majority of Senators in both parties are currently neutral on the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't neutral. We just don't know where they stand yet. Even some who answered letters didn't make it clear whether they were for or against us.

IndyFish
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Senate Summary:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you didn't read the OP. This is what we know today.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Senate Summary:

unknown<font color="white">..........</font>40<font color="white">........</font>33
Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 AM

Im not sure why Domenici voted that way. But he is a NM Republican and his best friend in the Senate is Jon Kyl. He is retiring, but his seniority could be a big obstacle. Do we
really want to list Stevens and Caig as As? If somehow the list was used as a publicity stunt by FoF it would be embarassing that our top supporters included bathroom solicitor and mr bridge to nowhere. Inouye is from Hawaii which has no legal gambling whatsoever, and maybe he felt the bill impacted Hawaii negatively. I want to say Harkin has done some bible thumping in Iowa and spouted anti-gambling rhetoric, Ill search later and see if I can find it. He has some clout/PR value as being the senior Iowa politician for the Dems duing the primary. Im sure if you called Joe Biden and asked his views as a presidential candidate he would elucidate. He likes it when people ask him that way. Feingold isnt bad to list as an A if he actually isnt opposed.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure why Domenici voted that way. But he is a NM Republican and his best friend in the Senate is Jon Kyl. He is retiring, but his seniority could be a big obstacle. Do we
really want to list Stevens and Caig as As? If somehow the list was used as a publicity stunt by FoF it would be embarassing that our top supporters included bathroom solicitor and mr bridge to nowhere. Inouye is from Hawaii which has no legal gambling whatsoever, and maybe he felt the bill impacted Hawaii negatively. I want to say Harkin has done some bible thumping in Iowa and spouted anti-gambling rhetoric, Ill search later and see if I can find it. He has some clout/PR value as being the senior Iowa politician for the Dems duing the primary. Im sure if you called Joe Biden and asked his views as a presidential candidate he would elucidate. He likes it when people ask him that way. Feingold isnt bad to list as an A if he actually isnt opposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great comments. I'm not going to be able to put this out for for anything for than something for us here to chat about for some time, mainly because of the lack of data.

I do agree that A's on this first cut are not necessarily that. After all, I've not heard one of them speak out for us. On the House side, the A's actually had to earn it by doing something tangible, beyond voting against a single bill (and one which we do not know the reason for the vote against...could have been anything). If I had to put something out today I'd definitely use a different term.

If Larry Craig became a strong advocate for us, I'd personally welcome his help. As he hasn't done anything remotely like that, he won't be an "A" in anything I put out as an article. Stevens doesn't bother me as much, I guess, as we're just listing his position. Unlike Craig, he actually has shown evidence of supporting us [and Don Young (R-AK) is an "A"].

The bottom line, I guess, is that this exercise showed how little we really know about the Senate at this time.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

David Vitter for LA is against. I've emailed him before and gotten a negative reply.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Vitter for LA is against. I've emailed him before and gotten a negative reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Can you post the letter here?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Let's post replies to this topic to the updated thread, at Representatives and Senators For and Against Online Poker, 11/19/07. Thanks.